LATAM Airlines moves in with Delta at New York JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The South American carrier will switch to Terminal 4 at JFK, home to Delta’s hub at the airport, on Feb. 1, LATAM said Thursday. The move from Terminal 8, which is home to LATAM’s former partner American Airlines, will facilitate connections with Delta as the two carriers build out their partnership.
Passengers booked in business class on LATAM, as well as Black Signature, Black and Platinum elite members in LATAM’s loyalty program will have access to Delta’s lounge in Terminal 4.
LATAM flies from JFK to four cities: Guayaquil, Ecuador (GYE); Lima (LIM); Santiago, Chile (SCL); and São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU), according to Cirium schedule data.
Delta and LATAM’s Colombia, Ecuador and Peru operating subsidiaries plan to begin codesharing in the first quarter, Delta president Glen Hauenstein said during the airline’s 2019 earnings call on Tuesday. Tie ups with LATAM’s Brazilian and Chilean subsidiaries — its largest operations — are expected later in 2020.
“Moving LATAM’s operations at JFK marks another important milestone in our journey towards offering the best connectivity and customer experience in the Americas,” said Roberto Alvo, commercial chief at LATAM, in a statement. “We are committed to providing a seamless transition for customers… and are working tirelessly to deliver the benefits of the framework agreement with Delta as soon as possible.”
Delta and LATAM surprised most in the airline industry when they announced their partnership in September. The deal pivoted LATAM away from its long-time partner American and out of the Oneworld alliance, and into a new pact with Delta. As part of the agreement, the U.S. carrier bought a 20% stake in LATAM and took 14 of its Airbus A350s.
American has responded with additional flights to LATAM’s hubs in Lima, São Paulo, and Santiago.
Featured image courtesy of LATAM Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.