LATAM expands Qatar Airways partnership as it begins unaligned shift
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
LATAM Brasil, the Brazilian subsidiary of the Santiago, Chile-based airline group, will place its “JJ” code on Qatar flights between São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU) and Doha (DOH), LATAM and Qatar said in a joint statement. The South American carrier will also codeshare on Qatar flights between Doha to another 25 destinations in Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
The expanded partnership comes less than a month after LATAM announced that it will leave Oneworld and become an unaligned carrier as part of a larger strategic investment by Delta Air Lines.
Ramiro Alfonsin, the chief financial officer of LATAM, at the time described the airline’s unaligned future as one grounded on partnerships with “two major airlines, Delta and Qatar.”
Qatar has owned a 10% stake in LATAM since 2016.
Delta and Qatar have a fraught relationship. The former led a complaint with the U.S. government against the three main Gulf carriers — Emirates, Etihad Airways and Qatar — alleging that the airlines had benefitted from subsidies that allowed them to essentially dump capacity in the U.S. At a low point, Qatar alleged that Delta blocked gates at the Atlanta (ATL) airport forcing its inaugural flight to park at a remote stand in 2016.
U.S. and Qatari officials reached a settlement in the dispute in early 2018.
“They have been a partner of ours since a couple of years now… and I’m sure Delta is very aware of who our shareholders are,” said Alfonsin when asked by analysts in September whether there were any concerns over both Delta and Qatar sitting on the LATAM board.
Qatar is also expanding its codeshare with LATAM. The Gulf carrier will place its “QR” code on more LATAM Brasil flights between São Paulo and points in South America, including Bogota (BOG), Brasilia (BSB), Curitiba (CWB), Lima (LIM) and Rio de Janeiro.
“The expansion of the codeshare agreement between Qatar Airways and LATAM Airlines Brazil will provide even greater connectivity for passengers,” said Akbar Al Baker, CEO of Qatar, in a statement.
Featured image by Luiz Souza/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees