The Park MGM and NoMad Las Vegas will be smoke-free properties when they reopen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After closing down completely in March, Las Vegas began coming back to life in a piecemeal fashion in early June.
The neon signs may be blazing again and the world-famous fountains are dancing to the sky once more, but the city looks different in so many ways.
Some resorts remain shuttered, live shows continue to be suspended, nightclubs are closed and the famous buffets are no longer self-serve affairs.
Not all changes have been bad, though, with numerous properties having made parking free for all guests. And, now, we have word of another positive change for Sin City.
MGM Resorts announced Monday, Sept. 14 that it will reopen its Park MGM and NoMad hotels on Sept. 30, which will mark the completion of MGM’s staggered reopening of its Las Vegas properties since it began the process a few months ago. The company’s Four Seasons Las Vegas hotel reopens on Sept. 25.
But, this announcement is significant for another reason: When they reopen, Park MGM and the NoMad Las Vegas will be the city’s first smoke-free casino resorts.
In a press release, the president of MGM Resorts’ Las Vegas portfolio, Anton Nikodemus, said that the company’s move indicates it’s being “responsive to recurring guest demand for a fully non-smoking casino resort on The Strip.”
This is a very positive development for Las Vegas. The properties will still maintain designated smoking areas for those who choose to do so, but it should improve the environment for everyone else, especially for those who are sensitive to inhaling smoke from cigars, cigarettes and the like.
Related: Full review of the NoMad Las Vegas
As Las Vegas casino resorts have reopened with a renewed focus on health and safety for guests and employees, the move to go smoke-free at these two properties makes sense. It’s a development we applaud, too, as it signals casino hotel operators are taking a thorough look at how they can make their properties more welcoming, safer and healthier for all guests.
We certainly hope this development is a harbinger of things to come for Sin City as it works to attract the visitors it so badly needs to mount a recovery post-coronavirus. We’re willing to bet that making Las Vegas a friendlier, safer, healthier and less smoky environment will be good for business and hope that other major properties on and off The Strip follow MGM’s lead and make smoke-filled casino floors a thing of the past.
Featured image by Javi Rodriguez / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.