The Park MGM and NoMad Las Vegas will be smoke-free properties when they reopen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After closing down completely in March, Las Vegas began coming back to life in a piecemeal fashion in early June.
The neon signs may be blazing again and the world-famous fountains are dancing to the sky once more, but the city looks different in so many ways.
Some resorts remain shuttered, live shows continue to be suspended, nightclubs are closed and the famous buffets are no longer self-serve affairs.
Not all changes have been bad, though, with numerous properties having made parking free for all guests. And, now, we have word of another positive change for Sin City.
MGM Resorts announced Monday, Sept. 14 that it will reopen its Park MGM and NoMad hotels on Sept. 30, which will mark the completion of MGM’s staggered reopening of its Las Vegas properties since it began the process a few months ago. The company’s Four Seasons Las Vegas hotel reopens on Sept. 25.
But, this announcement is significant for another reason: When they reopen, Park MGM and the NoMad Las Vegas will be the city’s first smoke-free casino resorts.
In a press release, the president of MGM Resorts’ Las Vegas portfolio, Anton Nikodemus, said that the company’s move indicates it’s being “responsive to recurring guest demand for a fully non-smoking casino resort on The Strip.”
This is a very positive development for Las Vegas. The properties will still maintain designated smoking areas for those who choose to do so, but it should improve the environment for everyone else, especially for those who are sensitive to inhaling smoke from cigars, cigarettes and the like.
Related: Full review of the NoMad Las Vegas
As Las Vegas casino resorts have reopened with a renewed focus on health and safety for guests and employees, the move to go smoke-free at these two properties makes sense. It’s a development we applaud, too, as it signals casino hotel operators are taking a thorough look at how they can make their properties more welcoming, safer and healthier for all guests.
We certainly hope this development is a harbinger of things to come for Sin City as it works to attract the visitors it so badly needs to mount a recovery post-coronavirus. We’re willing to bet that making Las Vegas a friendlier, safer, healthier and less smoky environment will be good for business and hope that other major properties on and off The Strip follow MGM’s lead and make smoke-filled casino floors a thing of the past.
Featured image by Javi Rodriguez / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees