This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Mark 2018 down as the year that Las Vegas parking fees started to show cracks, and in some cases, shattered.
After several years of virtually nothing but Las Vegas parking fee introductions, increases and hassles (because resort fees just aren’t enough fun all by themselves), in July 2018, the Las Vegas Wynn and Encore properties eliminated parking fees for all overnight guests as well as visitors who spent at least $50 in retail stores, restaurants, theaters, nightclubs, lounges or on any gameplay.
Now, it is the Cosmopolitan’s turn to retire self- and valet-parking fees for overnight hotel guests beginning on Jan 1. However, the hotel is simultaneously raising the omnipresent daily resort fee by $4 per night, going from $35 to $39. The soon-to-be-retired parking fee is $10 per night, though unfortunately those visiting the hotel without staying overnight will still be hit with hourly parking fees.
Note that the Cosmopolitan falls under the Marriott Rewards Autograph Collection’s umbrella, so you can stay using 50,000 Marriott Rewards points per night (plus the resort fee).
Use Status to Park for Free in Las Vegas
If you aren’t staying at the Wynn, Encore or Cosmopolitan, there are still ways to park in Las Vegas should you decide to bring or rent a car.
If you have World of Hyatt elite status, be sure and match that status to M life, as even the lowest level of Hyatt elite status matches to M life Pearl status, which is enough to enjoy free self-parking at the Bellagio, MGM, Mandalay Bay, Aria and other M life resorts where self-parking can cost up to $18 per night. Low-tier Hyatt Discoverist elite status can be had simply by holding the World of Hyatt Credit Card, so it is very easy to obtain even without staying at Hyatt properties.
If you prefer the Caesars properties, such as Caesars Palace, Bally’s, Harrah’s, Planet Hollywood, Paris and the Flamingo, you can target status in the Total Rewards program in order to park for free. You can match your Wyndham Rewards Platinum or Diamond status to Total Rewards and enjoy not only free parking at the Platinum, Diamond and Seven Star levels, but resort fees are also waived for Diamond and Seven Star members. (While not parking related, there’s also a stay at Atlantis in the Bahamas awaiting Total Rewards members with Platinum status or above.)
The Wyndham Rewards credit card confers automatic Platinum status, but right now you can also match your elite status in another hotel program to Wyndham Rewards Platinum or Diamond status (and then on to Total Rewards).
Las Vegas is Ground Zero for ancillary hotel fees, so we are thrilled that another major Las Vegas property has decided to back away from parking fees for its guests. While many Vegas visitors probably scoff at the idea of renting a car in Las Vegas, there are some pretty epic day trips outside of Vegas that await those who crave a little fresh air in between gambling sessions.
Featured image by Eric Lo / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees