JetBlue Commits to Fleet-Wide Seatback Entertainment
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Seat-back entertainment is expensive, it’s heavy, and, when it doesn’t work, it’s been known to drive passengers and crew members nuts. But, for JetBlue, at the very least, it’s here to stay. As legacy carriers like American and United move to replace seat-back screens with streaming entertainment, JetBlue has committed to offer both — on all of its domestic and international planes.
JetBlue is currently in the process of retrofitting its entire Airbus A320 fleet, adding high-definition touchscreen displays, on-demand entertainment and 100+ channels of DirecTV. Going forward, the airline’s new aircraft will offer similar seat-back solutions, including A321neos and all incoming Airbus A220s — which we may even see operate long transcon flights.
So, how do other top US carriers fare?
- American Airlines doesn’t even offer seat-back entertainment in business class on some planes.
- Delta, for one, continues to offer screens, including a slick new seat-back streaming solution on its A220 fleet.
- United’s latest narrow-body aircraft don’t offer seat-back entertainment, though most long-haul international planes do.
- Alaska, sadly, is now even working through the process of removing seat-back screens from its ex-Virgin Airbus fleet.
Recently, I’ve begun traveling with an iPad Pro — I’ve become addicted to Netflix’s offline mode, and with the gate-to-gate Wi-Fi now available on some planes, having a tablet means I can get work done during boarding, taxi and takeoff, too. Still there’s no denying the appeal of a seat-back screen — especially one with 100+ channels of live DirecTV, or free high-definition movies that I’d otherwise have to buy.
Featured image by Zach Honig/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees