Japan Airlines is considering more US destinations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Oneworld alliance member is eyeing adding new U.S. markets as soon as 2021, said JAL senior vice-president for the Americas Kiyoto Morioka at the ACI-NA 2019 Aviation Issues Seminar in Washington on Thursday. Without providing specifics, he said JAL is considering cities on both coasts, though he noted that any market will only be added in coordination with its partner American Airlines.
Orlando (MCO), San Jose (SJC) in California, and Washington Dulles (IAD) are among the largest markets that JAL does not serve on either coast.
The growth would come at least a year after JAL adds six daily flights to the U.S. from Haneda International Airport (HND), which is much closer to central Tokyo than its primary long-haul base at Narita International Airport (NRT). Most of the new Haneda flights will replace existing services from Narita, with the exception of Chicago O’Hare (ORD) that will see a new Haneda flight next year with Narita service suspended until 2021.
“2020 is a big evolution year for JAL,” said Morioka.
JAL also tipped its hat toward future U.S. fleet plans. The airline plans to use the 13 Airbus A350-1000s it has on order to eventually replace Boeing 777-300ERs on U.S. routes, possibly as soon as 2023, Morioka said.
The carrier took delivery of its first A350, a smaller -900, in June. The aircraft flies between Haneda and both Fukuoka (FUK) and Sapporo (CTS) currently, according to Cirium schedules.
Elsewhere in the Americas, JAL hopes to maintain its partnership with LATAM Airlines after the South American giant leaves Oneworld next fall. LATAM will depart the alliance as part of its new strategic partnership with Delta Air Lines, which will see it drop its long-standing partner American in February.
“We hope that we can continue the current relationship with LATAM,” said Morioka. “They are a very important partner to us to South America.”
Morioka explained that LATAM provides better connectivity to Peru, home to a large Japanese heritage population, and western South America than some of JAL’s other partners.
LATAM executives have said that they airline plans to maintain many of its bilateral relationships with Oneworld carriers other than American, but have not provided specifics.
JAL codeshares with LATAM on numerous routes to South America, Cirium schedules show. Covered routes include flights between Los Angeles (LAX) and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and both Lima (LIM) and Santiago (SCL) in Chile.
Featured image by Christoph Schmidt/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.