Japan Airlines is considering more US destinations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Oneworld alliance member is eyeing adding new U.S. markets as soon as 2021, said JAL senior vice-president for the Americas Kiyoto Morioka at the ACI-NA 2019 Aviation Issues Seminar in Washington on Thursday. Without providing specifics, he said JAL is considering cities on both coasts, though he noted that any market will only be added in coordination with its partner American Airlines.
Orlando (MCO), San Jose (SJC) in California, and Washington Dulles (IAD) are among the largest markets that JAL does not serve on either coast.
The growth would come at least a year after JAL adds six daily flights to the U.S. from Haneda International Airport (HND), which is much closer to central Tokyo than its primary long-haul base at Narita International Airport (NRT). Most of the new Haneda flights will replace existing services from Narita, with the exception of Chicago O’Hare (ORD) that will see a new Haneda flight next year with Narita service suspended until 2021.
“2020 is a big evolution year for JAL,” said Morioka.
JAL also tipped its hat toward future U.S. fleet plans. The airline plans to use the 13 Airbus A350-1000s it has on order to eventually replace Boeing 777-300ERs on U.S. routes, possibly as soon as 2023, Morioka said.
The carrier took delivery of its first A350, a smaller -900, in June. The aircraft flies between Haneda and both Fukuoka (FUK) and Sapporo (CTS) currently, according to Cirium schedules.
Elsewhere in the Americas, JAL hopes to maintain its partnership with LATAM Airlines after the South American giant leaves Oneworld next fall. LATAM will depart the alliance as part of its new strategic partnership with Delta Air Lines, which will see it drop its long-standing partner American in February.
“We hope that we can continue the current relationship with LATAM,” said Morioka. “They are a very important partner to us to South America.”
Morioka explained that LATAM provides better connectivity to Peru, home to a large Japanese heritage population, and western South America than some of JAL’s other partners.
LATAM executives have said that they airline plans to maintain many of its bilateral relationships with Oneworld carriers other than American, but have not provided specifics.
JAL codeshares with LATAM on numerous routes to South America, Cirium schedules show. Covered routes include flights between Los Angeles (LAX) and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and both Lima (LIM) and Santiago (SCL) in Chile.
Featured image by Christoph Schmidt/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees