Japan Airlines Receives First New Airbus A350
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japan Airlines’ first brand-new Airbus was delivered to the carrier at the manufacturer’s headquarters in Toulouse, France, today. The plane — an A350-900 — is one of 31 of Airbus’s wide-body aircraft the airline is adding to its fleet.
The new plane will serve flights between the southern Japanese city of Fukuoka and Tokyo’s Haneda airport. It is configured with 12 first-class seats, 94 in biz and 263 in comfort economy for a total of 369 premium seats.
JAL has ordered a total of 18 A350-900s that the airline says will be used for high-frequency domestic routes. An additional 13 A350-1000s are on order for the carrier’s long-haul flights.
This order marks a significant change in JAL’s aircraft strategy. Other than a group of A300s JAL acquired when it took over Japan Air System, the airline has historically flown Boeing aircraft for the majority of its flights, along with smaller regional planes from other manufacturers.
Airbus, which had long been looking to make inroads against Boeing in the Japanese market, celebrated its recent success there. The jetmaker noted on Twitter that “almost half of all new aircraft on order in Japan are for Airbus products.”
The first JAL A350 will enter service in September, with more deliveries coming soon.
Featured Photo of JAL’s new A350-900 courtesy of Airbus
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.