Japan Airlines Receives First New Airbus A350
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japan Airlines’ first brand-new Airbus was delivered to the carrier at the manufacturer’s headquarters in Toulouse, France, today. The plane — an A350-900 — is one of 31 of Airbus’s wide-body aircraft the airline is adding to its fleet.
The new plane will serve flights between the southern Japanese city of Fukuoka and Tokyo’s Haneda airport. It is configured with 12 first-class seats, 94 in biz and 263 in comfort economy for a total of 369 premium seats.
JAL has ordered a total of 18 A350-900s that the airline says will be used for high-frequency domestic routes. An additional 13 A350-1000s are on order for the carrier’s long-haul flights.
This order marks a significant change in JAL’s aircraft strategy. Other than a group of A300s JAL acquired when it took over Japan Air System, the airline has historically flown Boeing aircraft for the majority of its flights, along with smaller regional planes from other manufacturers.
Airbus, which had long been looking to make inroads against Boeing in the Japanese market, celebrated its recent success there. The jetmaker noted on Twitter that “almost half of all new aircraft on order in Japan are for Airbus products.”
The first JAL A350 will enter service in September, with more deliveries coming soon.
Featured Photo of JAL’s new A350-900 courtesy of Airbus
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees