Hyatt just launched widespread complimentary, on-site COVID-19 testing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you missed it, as of today, Jan. 26, all passengers traveling to the U.S. from abroad must present a negative COVID-19 test for entry. In response, many hotels have stepped up their game and introduced on-site testing for guests so they can remain compliant without worrying about the logistics.
So far, on-site testing availability largely varied by property, not brand. However, Hyatt has just become the first major chain to launch on-site COVID-19 testing across all its resorts its Latin America. The tests are free and there are plans in place to assist those who test positive and can’t return to the U.S. for a period of time.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Hyatt’s complimentary on-site COVID-19 testing
Hyatt is now offering on-site COVID-19 testing at all 19 Hyatt resorts in Latin America. These cover destinations Americans can travel to relatively easily, such as the Caribbean, Mexico, Costa Rica as well as South America. Best of all, the tests are free.
Depending on the property, you’ll either get a rapid antigen or RT-PCR test, both of which are approved per CDC guidelines. You can get two complimentary tests per guestroom, per stay, with additional tests available for a fee. Minimum length-of-stay requirements vary per property.
It’s important to note that this only applies to properties designated as resorts. In other words, a random Hyatt Place by the airport likely won’t offer testing. Participating resorts include the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar, Park Hyatt St. Kitts, Thompson Beach House in Playa del Carmen and various Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara properties.
What happens if you test positive
Unlike some hotels that offer testing, Hyatt has a plan for when people eventually test positive. Specifically, resorts in Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and South America (excluding Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara properties) will offer a Travel Delay Rate to guests whose travel plans are impacted by test-related reasons. Guests can save up to 50% on room rates and up to 30% on food and beverage.
Hopefully, you won’t need to take book these rates. But if you do, you will earn World of Hyatt points and tier-qualifying nights as per usual. If you enrolled for the Bonus Journeys promotion, that means extra points and double elite nights for eligible stays through Feb. 28. Between that promotion, a cobranded Hyatt credit card and Hyatt cutting elite qualification thresholds in half, you could end up with top-tier Globalist status after your quarantine.
Hotel COVID-19 testing will be a must to get the travel industry moving again. Although Marriott and Hilton offer it at some Latin American properties, Hyatt is the first major chain to offer widespread testing across all of its resorts in the region.
It’s great to see that, unlike some hotels, Hyatt is offering on-site testing for free. More importantly, it has a plan in place for those who test positive and is helping reduce the cost should you need to quarantine.
Featured image by Jamie Oppenheim / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.