Hyatt just launched widespread complimentary, on-site COVID-19 testing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you missed it, as of today, Jan. 26, all passengers traveling to the U.S. from abroad must present a negative COVID-19 test for entry. In response, many hotels have stepped up their game and introduced on-site testing for guests so they can remain compliant without worrying about the logistics.
So far, on-site testing availability largely varied by property, not brand. However, Hyatt has just become the first major chain to launch on-site COVID-19 testing across all its resorts its Latin America. The tests are free and there are plans in place to assist those who test positive and can’t return to the U.S. for a period of time.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Hyatt’s complimentary on-site COVID-19 testing
Hyatt is now offering on-site COVID-19 testing at all 19 Hyatt resorts in Latin America. These cover destinations Americans can travel to relatively easily, such as the Caribbean, Mexico, Costa Rica as well as South America. Best of all, the tests are free.
Depending on the property, you’ll either get a rapid antigen or RT-PCR test, both of which are approved per CDC guidelines. You can get two complimentary tests per guestroom, per stay, with additional tests available for a fee. Minimum length-of-stay requirements vary per property.
It’s important to note that this only applies to properties designated as resorts. In other words, a random Hyatt Place by the airport likely won’t offer testing. Participating resorts include the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar, Park Hyatt St. Kitts, Thompson Beach House in Playa del Carmen and various Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara properties.
What happens if you test positive
Unlike some hotels that offer testing, Hyatt has a plan for when people eventually test positive. Specifically, resorts in Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and South America (excluding Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara properties) will offer a Travel Delay Rate to guests whose travel plans are impacted by test-related reasons. Guests can save up to 50% on room rates and up to 30% on food and beverage.
Hopefully, you won’t need to take book these rates. But if you do, you will earn World of Hyatt points and tier-qualifying nights as per usual. If you enrolled for the Bonus Journeys promotion, that means extra points and double elite nights for eligible stays through Feb. 28. Between that promotion, a cobranded Hyatt credit card and Hyatt cutting elite qualification thresholds in half, you could end up with top-tier Globalist status after your quarantine.
Hotel COVID-19 testing will be a must to get the travel industry moving again. Although Marriott and Hilton offer it at some Latin American properties, Hyatt is the first major chain to offer widespread testing across all of its resorts in the region.
It’s great to see that, unlike some hotels, Hyatt is offering on-site testing for free. More importantly, it has a plan in place for those who test positive and is helping reduce the cost should you need to quarantine.
Featured image by Jamie Oppenheim / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees