Google adds 3 features to help travelers plan trips during the pandemic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With nearly 90 million Americans fully vaccinated against COVID-19, many people are beginning to plan their first trips since the onset of the pandemic.
Google says that searches for hotels reached a 10-year high this April, spurred by eager vacationers and the rapid reopening of major tourist destinations all over the world.
Searches for terms such as “where can I travel” and “travel restrictions by country” have also been popular. To meet this demand, Google is launching several new tools to help travelers track restrictions, plan road trips and get inspired.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
When you Google travel information like hotels or flights, you can already see travel advisories by destination. Google says it has updated this tool with even more information on travel restrictions, such as whether the destination requires a quarantine, a negative COVID-19 test result or proof of vaccination.
Get more information about travel during COVID-19 at TPG.
Google will also show you more than just flights through the Explore map. You can now filter destinations to find the best places for skiing, for instance, or see the ultimate beach getaway. And you can select the “flights only” feature in Travel Mode if you only want to see cities with an airport. Some Google Flights results, for example, will show you locations without access to an airport, or where one is farther away, so Google is making it easier to search for destinations with airports only.
But not everyone is ready to fly or hop on a train, of course, so road trips have become extremely popular during the pandemic. Google will now show you places, such as parks or rest stops, that you can add as a stop on your itinerary. You can then send the directions to your phone via text, email or the Google Maps app.
These tools will likely prove helpful for travelers who are preparing to venture out for the first time and discovering a very unfamiliar travel landscape.
For instance, the European Union is reportedly planning to reopen to fully vaccinated American tourists this summer. If you’re eager to fly abroad and return to one of your favorite countries in Europe, Google’s new features can help you track important entry requirements, find flights to the right city and help you plot a road trip upon arrival.
Featured photo by meiwphotographer / Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.