Google adds 3 features to help travelers plan trips during the pandemic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With nearly 90 million Americans fully vaccinated against COVID-19, many people are beginning to plan their first trips since the onset of the pandemic.
Google says that searches for hotels reached a 10-year high this April, spurred by eager vacationers and the rapid reopening of major tourist destinations all over the world.
Searches for terms such as “where can I travel” and “travel restrictions by country” have also been popular. To meet this demand, Google is launching several new tools to help travelers track restrictions, plan road trips and get inspired.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
When you Google travel information like hotels or flights, you can already see travel advisories by destination. Google says it has updated this tool with even more information on travel restrictions, such as whether the destination requires a quarantine, a negative COVID-19 test result or proof of vaccination.
Get more information about travel during COVID-19 at TPG.
Google will also show you more than just flights through the Explore map. You can now filter destinations to find the best places for skiing, for instance, or see the ultimate beach getaway. And you can select the “flights only” feature in Travel Mode if you only want to see cities with an airport. Some Google Flights results, for example, will show you locations without access to an airport, or where one is farther away, so Google is making it easier to search for destinations with airports only.
But not everyone is ready to fly or hop on a train, of course, so road trips have become extremely popular during the pandemic. Google will now show you places, such as parks or rest stops, that you can add as a stop on your itinerary. You can then send the directions to your phone via text, email or the Google Maps app.
These tools will likely prove helpful for travelers who are preparing to venture out for the first time and discovering a very unfamiliar travel landscape.
For instance, the European Union is reportedly planning to reopen to fully vaccinated American tourists this summer. If you’re eager to fly abroad and return to one of your favorite countries in Europe, Google’s new features can help you track important entry requirements, find flights to the right city and help you plot a road trip upon arrival.
Featured photo by meiwphotographer / Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees