North America’s first indoor ski resort just opened in a New Jersey mall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ski season is officially here — and now, you can even hit the slopes inside a shopping mall in New Jersey.
On Dec. 5, the new American Dream mall in East Rutherford, New Jersey, opened North America’s first indoor ski resort. Called Big Snow America, it will be open 365 days a year — even during the hottest, most humid days of summer. The ski resort is just the beginning of the mall’s multiphase opening, which also included the debut of North America’s largest indoor theme park, Nickelodeon Universe, in October.
“Big Snow is a game changer for skiing and snowboarding in the United States,” Hugh Reynolds, vice president of marketing and sales for Snow Operating, said in a statement. “The unprecedented access to year-round snow combined with the center’s unrivaled location … will allow us to provide opportunities never before seen, and to move the needle on growing the sports in a big way.”
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
For years, the sprawling American Dream mall was little more than a vacant eyesore along the Jersey Turnpike. It’s 16 stories tall and stretches over 180,000 square feet, and now home to an après ski lounge and a 200-foot-wide ski slope.
While it isn’t the first of its kind in the world, similar attempts at indoor skiing in North America have made use of artificial revolving slopes. Big Snow, however, uses advanced technology to maintain a constant indoor temperature of 28 degrees, so they can make, groom and control actual snow.
What does that mean for skiers and snowboarders? None of that annoying freezing, thawing and refreezing so common on the East Coast that results in terrible, icy conditions outdoors. The snow can even be recycled, making the resort more energy efficient.
The lift-accessed terrain has a 160-foot vertical drop and runs that range from beginner to advanced, although expert skiers and riders likely won’t be extremely challenged by the 26-degree black diamond run (some of the steepest inbound runs in the U.S. exceed 50 degrees).
Still, the most avid skiers and riders will rejoice once they’re able to scratch their mid-summer itch with a turn. There’s even a terrain park — perfect for those hoping to hone their skills on the jumps and rails.
As you might expect, the facility will largely cater to first-time and beginner skiers and riders. Snow Operating, which owns Big Snow and a number of outdoor ski resorts across the nation. including nearby Mountain Creek, is utilizing their Terrain Based Learning method. Features on parts of the slope help skiers and riders naturally control their speed, turns and body positioning.
First-time and infrequent skiers and snowboarders also know that lack of equipment and appropriate clothing can be a huge barrier to trying the sport. At traditional resorts, skis, snowboards, helmets and poles can usually be rented (for a hefty fee), but snow pants and jackets can’t. Guests are forced to choose between purchasing potentially pricey snow gear, or taking to the slopes in unsuitable clothes. That alone can make skiing and snowboarding a potentially miserable experience.
That’s another way Big Snow is great for beginners. Packages, which start at $49.99 when purchased online, include equipment rentals; snow pants and a jacket; a helmet; a two-hour lift ticket; and access to Terrain Based Learning and dedicated instructors.
One-on-one private lessons will also be available for $199.99 (for two hours). And for visitors who already have their own gear, a two-hour lift ticket will cost only $29.99 when purchased online: not bad when compared to the $200 day passes offered by some higher-end resorts.
Related: The best annual ski passes
Regardless of whether you’re a veteran skier or rider, or a novice who hasn’t had the time (or cash) to head to a major outdoor resort, Big Snow could be a great way to bring the great outdoors a little bit closer to the Big Apple. After all, you can now fit in a few turns as easily as you would spend a couple hours at the gym, regardless of the weather or time of year.
Featured photo courtesy of American Dream.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees