Emirates to bring back on-the-ground premium experience as of July 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates announced on Tuesday that as of July 1, it will be reinstating its full premium on-the-ground experience for first- and business-class passengers. Though, as with most things regarding travel and coronavirus, there will be some modifications.
For more news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s daily newsletter.
At the airport, the airline’s signature Chauffeur Drive Service will be reinstated for first- and business-class passengers at Dubai and some other cities around the world — including London (LHR) — as of 10 a.m. on July 1. Drivers in Dubai will wear gloves and masks, and high touchpoints of all cars will be sanitized at the end of each trip. At the end of each shift, cars will be cleaned and disinfected inside and out. In Dubai, cars will be limited to three passengers but larger vehicles will be available on request for groups of four.
As of July 1, just one of the airline’s lounges in Terminal 3, Concourse B at Dubai Airport (DXB) will be open, and eligible first-class, business-class and Emirates Skywards members will be permitted entry. Once inside, passengers can expect a different experience than they might be used to. Passengers will be required to wear masks in the lounge, and there will be a reduced number of seating areas to aid social distancing. Complimentary hygiene kits will be readily available in the airport for those who require masks, gloves, sanitizer or wipes.
The buffet offering will be replaced with hygienically sealed meal boxes. Drinks, including spirits, will be available in single-serve bottles, meaning shared drinks like wine and Champagne will be temporarily suspended.
The airline has set out several measures to ensure the safety of passengers and employees. One such initiative will be accessing the lounge using biometric gates and facial recognition technology. Cleaning will be ramped up, too, as tables and chairs will be sanitized by a member of staff after each passenger use and at the end of each day, the lounge will be sanitized and fumigated. More of Emirates’ lounges around the world are set to open in the coming months.
Onboard, First Class Suites and lie-flat business class seats will remain in use, but the onboard service has been modified. Social areas, like the bar on the A380, remain out of use. The airline said that crew will wear full PPE and toilets will be cleaned more frequently.
The reintroduction of this ground service for premium passengers coincides with the return of several daily Emirates flights from Dubai (DXB) to Heathrow (LHR), also on July 1.
Featured image courtesy of Emirates
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees