Emirates to bring back on-the-ground premium experience as of July 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates announced on Tuesday that as of July 1, it will be reinstating its full premium on-the-ground experience for first- and business-class passengers. Though, as with most things regarding travel and coronavirus, there will be some modifications.
For more news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s daily newsletter.
At the airport, the airline’s signature Chauffeur Drive Service will be reinstated for first- and business-class passengers at Dubai and some other cities around the world — including London (LHR) — as of 10 a.m. on July 1. Drivers in Dubai will wear gloves and masks, and high touchpoints of all cars will be sanitized at the end of each trip. At the end of each shift, cars will be cleaned and disinfected inside and out. In Dubai, cars will be limited to three passengers but larger vehicles will be available on request for groups of four.
As of July 1, just one of the airline’s lounges in Terminal 3, Concourse B at Dubai Airport (DXB) will be open, and eligible first-class, business-class and Emirates Skywards members will be permitted entry. Once inside, passengers can expect a different experience than they might be used to. Passengers will be required to wear masks in the lounge, and there will be a reduced number of seating areas to aid social distancing. Complimentary hygiene kits will be readily available in the airport for those who require masks, gloves, sanitizer or wipes.
The buffet offering will be replaced with hygienically sealed meal boxes. Drinks, including spirits, will be available in single-serve bottles, meaning shared drinks like wine and Champagne will be temporarily suspended.
The airline has set out several measures to ensure the safety of passengers and employees. One such initiative will be accessing the lounge using biometric gates and facial recognition technology. Cleaning will be ramped up, too, as tables and chairs will be sanitized by a member of staff after each passenger use and at the end of each day, the lounge will be sanitized and fumigated. More of Emirates’ lounges around the world are set to open in the coming months.
Onboard, First Class Suites and lie-flat business class seats will remain in use, but the onboard service has been modified. Social areas, like the bar on the A380, remain out of use. The airline said that crew will wear full PPE and toilets will be cleaned more frequently.
The reintroduction of this ground service for premium passengers coincides with the return of several daily Emirates flights from Dubai (DXB) to Heathrow (LHR), also on July 1.
Featured image courtesy of Emirates
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.