Check Out Emirates’ Fancy New Airbus A380 In-Flight Bar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Typically, Emirates takes delivery of its A380s without much fanfare. Engineers will inspect and sign off on the plane, and pilots will head out to Airbus’ Hamburg, Germany facility, flying the brand-new aircraft back to the carrier’s home airport in Dubai.
But Friday’s ceremony was an entirely different affair. It marked the carrier’s 100th A380 delivery, and, since Emirates is the largest superjumbo operator by a long shot, most likely the only 100th A380 delivery to ever take place. At this point, Emirates now operates more than five times the number of double-decker planes than the runner-up, Singapore Airlines, which is mighty impressive.
Now, while the event itself was especially notable, this particular aircraft isn’t distinguishable from several others in the fleet, with the exception of its custom livery. While they do sport the latest finishes and amenities, the first, business and economy-class cabins aren’t entirely new. This A380 is one of the first to offer the entirely redesigned upper-deck bar, though, so that’s where I spent the majority of my time onboard today.
I already loved Emirates’ A380 bar, but this redesign takes the concept to a whole new level. Check it out in the video tour below.
The bar looks even better in person than it did in the carrier’s intro video earlier this year. It’s seriously stunning.
While I love the bar itself, I’m especially taken with the two seating areas.
There’s seating for four (or three with seat belts) in an L-shaped sofa on the starboard side.
And then my favorite seating area is on the port side of the plane, just to the left of the staffed bar.
Now, I’ve never had an opportunity to fly business class with three friends or family members — well, with one exception, perhaps — but if I did this is definitely a spot I’d like to claim for my group!
It could also be fun to sit there and chat with strangers, too.
And now for a bit of behind-the-scenes action…
While you can’t tell from the shots and video above, my bar visit was just one component of a fast-paced A380 tour, where dozens of photographers battled over the opportunity to snag a perfectly clear shot. Here’s the press event view you probably don’t ever see online:
I really love everything about the new bar, from the stand-up area in the center to the two seating sections near the windows. The new 55-inch TV, seen in the video above, is super awesome too — it supports streaming television, making it possible to watch live programming, such as sporting events, during a flight.
But what really sets Emirates’ bar apart is the attention to detail — just look at the window treatments, wall finishes and even the bouquet of orchids.
I’m told there are seven planes with the new bar flying today, and this latest A380 makes eight. Unfortunately landing one of these latest aircraft is a bit hit or miss — if I ever get lucky enough to score the new plane, I can’t imagine I’ll be spending much time sitting in my business-class seat, though.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees