Dubai will reopen to tourists July 7 – here’s what you need to know
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dubai, the largest city in the United Arab Emirates, will reopen to international travelers on July 7, 2020, according to a statement from the Government of Dubai.
If you’re planning to visit the Emirate during one of the hottest months of the year — don’t expect things to go as they did pre-coronavirus. According to the government’s statement, tourists visiting the country will be required to present a recent COVID-19 PCR test negative certificate done within 96 hours of departure or undergo testing at Dubai airports. Tourists must also download the COVID-19 DXB app and register their details.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
All arrivals will also be subject to thermal screenings. If a traveler is suspected to have COVID-19 symptoms, Dubai airports have the right to re-test to ensure the tourist is free of the virus.
Tourists must comply with preventive measures and safety procedures and must self-isolate for 14 days if they test positive.
Additionally, Dubai residents who have been abroad are permitted to return to the emirate by pre-booking flights on any airline. Residents must fill a ‘Health Declaration Form’ before embarking on their journey to confirm they do not have COVID-19 symptoms. Dubai citizens and residents can now travel internationally but will be subject to COVID-19 testing.
The move comes as other countries in the Middle East prepare to relax stringent coronavirus restrictions. On July 1, Qatar will enter the second phase of its reopening, which will allow groups of up to ten people to congregate. Additionally, malls will reopen with limited hours. Jordan now allows for social gatherings of up to 20 people with public transportation at 50% capacity.
The United Arab Emirates began to ease some strict lockdown measures last month. As of now, Emirates offers limited service between Dubai (DXB) and a few North American cities such as New York (JFK), Washington (IAD) and Toronto (YYZ).
The UAE previously said it would impose a $13,000 fine on visitors and residents who violate strict anti-coronavirus measures like tracking “bracelets” and mandatory tracking apps.
Violators face steep fines for a variety of violations, and will also be “named and shamed” with their pictures posted in local media. Repeat offenders would be referred for prosecution and face prison time.
And if you think you can escape the infamous UAE summer heat by not wearing a mask? Think again — you could be fined $800 for not wearing a mask, even while in the car if traveling with more than three people.
Featured photo by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees