Emirates’ A380 Is Coming to Boston This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Good news for Boston-based travelers dreaming of flying on Emirates’ A380s: the Dubai-based airline has announced that they will be adding A380 service to Boston from June 1 through Sept. 30. The behemoth will return again briefly from Dec. 1, 2019 through Jan. 31 of 2020.
Currently, the once-daily route between Boston and Dubai is operated by a Boeing 777-300ER.
The carrier says it’s swapping the aircraft to accommodate the increased traffic for the summer and holiday seasons, and the airline definitely hinted at the change back in June, when it flew a one-off flight with the A380 between Dubai and Boston. Emirates is the world’s largest operator of the A380, and its recent order of 36 planes pretty much saved the program, while other carriers are turning their backs on the super jumbo.
You have a wide range of award booking options if you want to burn miles on an amazing first or business class experience on Emirates’ A380. The airline’s international first class product is second to none, and took first place in the inaugural TPG Awards.
(Want to know what to expect if you’re booking a first class seat on this double-decker? Read our comprehensive review of the first class experience on Emirates’ A380. And neither business class nor economy are too shabby.)
The company’s announcement also covered the expected impacts of the closure of one of Dubai International Airport’s runways during the spring of 2019. The southern runway at Dubai International (DXB) is due to undergo maintenance between April 16 and May 30.
Emirates said it will be cancelling and rescheduling flights or changing aircraft to deal with the reduction in capacity at the airport. This will lead to as many as 48 of the carrier’s aircraft being sidelined and an overall reduction of 25% in flights while the work on the runway is completed.
During the runway closure, for example, additional summertime flights between Dubai and Athens, Rome and Zagreb, Croatia will be suspended. In the UK, Emirates will fly its A380 for the first time to Scotland to offer additional capacity during the runway shutdown.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees