Emirates’ A380 Is Coming to Boston This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Good news for Boston-based travelers dreaming of flying on Emirates’ A380s: the Dubai-based airline has announced that they will be adding A380 service to Boston from June 1 through Sept. 30. The behemoth will return again briefly from Dec. 1, 2019 through Jan. 31 of 2020.
Currently, the once-daily route between Boston and Dubai is operated by a Boeing 777-300ER.
The carrier says it’s swapping the aircraft to accommodate the increased traffic for the summer and holiday seasons, and the airline definitely hinted at the change back in June, when it flew a one-off flight with the A380 between Dubai and Boston. Emirates is the world’s largest operator of the A380, and its recent order of 36 planes pretty much saved the program, while other carriers are turning their backs on the super jumbo.
You have a wide range of award booking options if you want to burn miles on an amazing first or business class experience on Emirates’ A380. The airline’s international first class product is second to none, and took first place in the inaugural TPG Awards.
(Want to know what to expect if you’re booking a first class seat on this double-decker? Read our comprehensive review of the first class experience on Emirates’ A380. And neither business class nor economy are too shabby.)
The company’s announcement also covered the expected impacts of the closure of one of Dubai International Airport’s runways during the spring of 2019. The southern runway at Dubai International (DXB) is due to undergo maintenance between April 16 and May 30.
Emirates said it will be cancelling and rescheduling flights or changing aircraft to deal with the reduction in capacity at the airport. This will lead to as many as 48 of the carrier’s aircraft being sidelined and an overall reduction of 25% in flights while the work on the runway is completed.
During the runway closure, for example, additional summertime flights between Dubai and Athens, Rome and Zagreb, Croatia will be suspended. In the UK, Emirates will fly its A380 for the first time to Scotland to offer additional capacity during the runway shutdown.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.