Emirates Makes Its Big Order for A380s Official
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s really happening: Emirates is saving the troubled Airbus A380 program (at least for now) by buying as many as 36. Without a big order from its largest operator, the Airbus double-decker — the biggest passenger plane in the world — would have faced the risk of extinction. Emirates just finalized its order for 20 Airbus A380s with the option of 16 additional aircraft, a few weeks after signing a preliminary agreement to purchase the 500-seater jet.
The total value of the purchase is $16 billion, based on current list prices, although it’s extremely likely that the Dubai-based airline got a big discount. Deliveries of the aircraft will begin in 2020.
“This latest agreement further demonstrates the strength of our valued partnership with Emirates in support of their impressive growth,” said in a statement Fabrice Brégier, Airbus’ Chief Operating Officer. The purchase almost single-handedly keeps the A380 in production: Airbus was reportedly close to announcing it would stop making the A380s, back in December. Except Emirates, whose business model depends on the huge numbers of passengers the A380 can move through its Dubai hub, airlines haven’t been able to consistently make their A380s profitable. The giant airliner is reported to make handsome profits when full, but that’s where the challenge is: filling 500 seats isn’t always easy. Airlines are opting for smaller airplanes instead.
Emirates was named World’s Best Airline in TripAdvisor’s 2017 Travelers’ Choice Awards, and definitely wins fan favorite awards here at TPG. The Dubai-based carrier already owns 101 of the 221 A380s currently in the air today, and the new order will bring the total of A380s it operates to 178 aircraft once deliveries are complete.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.