Emirates’ New 777 First Class Begins Flying to the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates’ new 777 first class suite has been turning heads since it was introduced in late 2017. While the Gulf carrier has always had a reputation as an innovator thanks to the gold-studded suites and onboard showers on its flagship A380 aircraft, this new product has won rave reviews.
The cabin, designed with help from Mercedes-Benz, features floor to ceiling doors and complete control over the temperature, lighting and even suite color.
For some “stuck” in a middle seat, Emirates even installed virtual windows, which offer a crisp picture of the scenery outside.
Unfortunately, Emirates only has 9 777-300ERs in its fleet with the new suites, and it will be a long time before all of Emirates’ 130-plus 777-300ERs feature this updated cabin. In the meantime, Emirates has primarily been using these planes to fly shorter routes between Dubai (DXB) and Europe. You can check out a list of the current routes here.
Emirates Begins Flying New 777 Seats to the US
One Mile At A Time is reporting that Emirates has begun unofficially flying its new 777 first class to the US on a number of routes. In the last week, planes sporting the new seats have been spotted flying to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Seattle (SEA) and Houston (IAH).
These changes do not appear to be permanent, as all of these routes still feature the old 777 first class configuration more often than not (or in the case of Houston, the route reverts to A380 service later this week). Before booking this flight, you’ll want to double check that ExpertFlyer is showing the correct six-seat configuration to make sure you’re booking the new suites.
At the time of writing, the following US routes are showing Emirates’ new 777 first class for service this week:
- Seattle (SEA) to Dubai (DXB) EK 230: 5/21, 5/23, 5/25, 5/26, 5/27
- Houston (IAH) to Dubai (DXB) EK 212: 5/21 (A380 service resumes from 5/22 onward)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Dubai (DXB) EK 222: 5/20, 5/23
Emirates has generally been stingy with award space for these new cabins, which makes sense as there are only six first class seats as opposed to eight on the older 777 configuration, or 14 on the A380. However, Emirates has been releasing close-in award space within 24-48 hours of departure. If you hurry, it’s even possible to book a seat on Monday’s flight from Dallas/Fort Worth to Dubai featuring the new suites.
150,000 Alaska miles is a lot to pay for a single one-way award (TPG values that at $2,700), but if there’s any product worth splurging on this is it. You could also book this award for 135,000 JAL Mileage Bank miles, but you’ll pay about $900 in taxes and fuel surcharges.
While you’re waiting for award space to open up and for more routes to feature these new suites, here are a few TPG reviews of Emirates first class to help pique your excitement:
- The Ultimate Guide to Emirates First Class
- Emirates’ New 777 First-Class Suite From Dubai to Brussels
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees