Act fast: Wide open Delta One award space on new Boston to Rome route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a few days ago, Delta announced its new Rome to Boston route, launching seasonal flights to the Italian capital between May 21 and Sept. 8. New route announcements like this represent an incredible opportunity for savvy award travelers, as there’s often a brief window when the new flights are loaded into the airline’s schedule where award space is wide open, even in premium cabins.
Since Delta switched to a dynamic award pricing model a few years back, one-way Delta One flights between the U.S. and Europe routinely price as high as 320,000 SkyMiles for short transatlantic red-eyes. However, there’s currently wide open Delta One award space on this new route to Rome from its launch at the end of May all the way through the end of the current schedule.
TPG values Delta SkyMiles at 1.2 cents each, making 80,000 miles worth $960 — an absolute steal compared to the $8,000+ that these tickets are selling for if you pay cash. Most of the award space I’m seeing is nonstop, however a few dates include connections in other Delta hubs like New York-JFK or Atlanta (ATL), so be sure to double check your itinerary before booking.
Related: How to earn Delta SkyMiles
If you don’t have any SkyMiles to redeem, don’t worry. You can also book Delta One awards through Virgin Atlantic Flying Club at the incredible rate of only 50,000 miles each way plus $5.60 in taxes. You can transfer points to Virgin Atlantic at a 1:1 ratio from Chase Ultimate Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, American Express Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou Rewards, and the last two have been known to offer transfer bonuses to Virgin Atlantic from time to time.
Delta’s new nonstop from Boston to Rome will be operated by an Airbus A330-300, meaning you won’t get to try Delta’s flagship Delta One Suites which is currently only available on its A350, A330neo and select 777 aircraft. Instead, the A330-300 features 34 Delta One business class seats in a 1-2-1 reverse herringbone configuration, meaning every seat has direct aisle access.
The new Boston flight will operate with the following schedule:
- DL20 Boston (BOS) 5:00 p.m. departure → Rome (FCO) 7:15 a.m. arrival +1
- DL21 Rome (FCO) 10:45 a.m. departure → Boston (BOS) 2:15 p.m. arrival
In addition to the incredible award space on the new Boston to Rome route, there are a number of days featuring business-class availability at only 80,000 points each way on some of Delta’s other transatlantic routes during the summer, including New York-JFK to Madrid (MAD) and a few others. Since Delta’s award pricing changes so frequently, it would be worth doing a quick search if you’re ready to start making travel plans for the summer of 2020.
Featured photo by Darren Murph/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.