Act fast: Wide open Delta One award space on new Boston to Rome route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Just a few days ago, Delta announced its new Rome to Boston route, launching seasonal flights to the Italian capital between May 21 and Sept. 8. New route announcements like this represent an incredible opportunity for savvy award travelers, as there’s often a brief window when the new flights are loaded into the airline’s schedule where award space is wide open, even in premium cabins.
Since Delta switched to a dynamic award pricing model a few years back, one-way Delta One flights between the U.S. and Europe routinely price as high as 320,000 SkyMiles for short transatlantic red-eyes. However, there’s currently wide open Delta One award space on this new route to Rome from its launch at the end of May all the way through the end of the current schedule.
TPG values Delta SkyMiles at 1.2 cents each, making 80,000 miles worth $960 — an absolute steal compared to the $8,000+ that these tickets are selling for if you pay cash. Most of the award space I’m seeing is nonstop, however a few dates include connections in other Delta hubs like New York-JFK or Atlanta (ATL), so be sure to double check your itinerary before booking.
Related: How to earn Delta SkyMiles
If you don’t have any SkyMiles to redeem, don’t worry. You can also book Delta One awards through Virgin Atlantic Flying Club at the incredible rate of only 50,000 miles each way plus $5.60 in taxes. You can transfer points to Virgin Atlantic at a 1:1 ratio from Chase Ultimate Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, American Express Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou Rewards, and the last two have been known to offer transfer bonuses to Virgin Atlantic from time to time.
Delta’s new nonstop from Boston to Rome will be operated by an Airbus A330-300, meaning you won’t get to try Delta’s flagship Delta One Suites which is currently only available on its A350, A330neo and select 777 aircraft. Instead, the A330-300 features 34 Delta One business class seats in a 1-2-1 reverse herringbone configuration, meaning every seat has direct aisle access.
The new Boston flight will operate with the following schedule:
- DL20 Boston (BOS) 5:00 p.m. departure → Rome (FCO) 7:15 a.m. arrival +1
- DL21 Rome (FCO) 10:45 a.m. departure → Boston (BOS) 2:15 p.m. arrival
In addition to the incredible award space on the new Boston to Rome route, there are a number of days featuring business-class availability at only 80,000 points each way on some of Delta’s other transatlantic routes during the summer, including New York-JFK to Madrid (MAD) and a few others. Since Delta’s award pricing changes so frequently, it would be worth doing a quick search if you’re ready to start making travel plans for the summer of 2020.
Featured photo by Darren Murph/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees