Delta Now Flying Business Class Suites Between US and Australia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta is now flying its swankiest business class product, Delta One Suites, between the United States and Australia. The airline’s daily trip between Los Angeles (LAX) and Sydney (SYD) is being served by a refreshed Boeing 777, which offers all four of Delta’s branded seating products. In addition to those four options, passengers can expect to find seatback IFE, LED cabin lighting, Gogo Ku Wi-Fi and free mobile messaging on board.
The airline has been toiling away, retrofitting its fleet of Boeing 777 aircraft to feature suites with sliding privacy doors. While Delta One Suites debuted on the Airbus A350 (and will soon take to the skies on the Airbus A330-900neo), the airline is refreshing 767-400ER and 777 planes to bring those up to the new standard from an interior standpoint.
Joining Delta One Suites are two usual suspects — economy and Comfort+ — along with Delta’s spin on premium economy (Premium Select).
Looking in the months ahead, cash pricing for a round-trip journey aboard the revamped aircraft ranges from ~$1,000 (economy) to over $12,000 (Delta One Suites). Comfort+ is pricing out at around $1,400, while Premium Select will cost around $1,700.
As has become expected, mileage pricing for this route is comical. While it’s possible to score a round-trip award ticket for around 70,000 SkyMiles in economy, you’ll pay over double (around 150,000 miles) for Premium Select.
Rates are all over the map for Delta One Suites, with a round-trip ticket setting you back as little as 575,000 SkyMiles or as much as 930,000. While those tallies are eye-popping, particularly compared to what this route could be had for just a few years ago, they actually don’t represent the worst value.
TPG values a SkyMile at 1.2 cents, which means that 575,000 of them are worth $6,900 — about 40% less than the going cash rate for the LAX-SYD round-trip. The 930,000 SkyMiles rate works out to roughly the same as the cash rate considering the MQMs and MQDs that you give up when you fly on an award ticket.
If you’re looking for alternatives, take a look at our guide to using points and miles for visiting Australia. Keep an eye out too for Delta flash sales to the region at TPG Deals, which can be had for as little as 44,000 SkyMiles round-trip in economy.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.