Delta Now Flying Business Class Suites Between US and Australia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta is now flying its swankiest business class product, Delta One Suites, between the United States and Australia. The airline’s daily trip between Los Angeles (LAX) and Sydney (SYD) is being served by a refreshed Boeing 777, which offers all four of Delta’s branded seating products. In addition to those four options, passengers can expect to find seatback IFE, LED cabin lighting, Gogo Ku Wi-Fi and free mobile messaging on board.
The airline has been toiling away, retrofitting its fleet of Boeing 777 aircraft to feature suites with sliding privacy doors. While Delta One Suites debuted on the Airbus A350 (and will soon take to the skies on the Airbus A330-900neo), the airline is refreshing 767-400ER and 777 planes to bring those up to the new standard from an interior standpoint.
Joining Delta One Suites are two usual suspects — economy and Comfort+ — along with Delta’s spin on premium economy (Premium Select).
Looking in the months ahead, cash pricing for a round-trip journey aboard the revamped aircraft ranges from ~$1,000 (economy) to over $12,000 (Delta One Suites). Comfort+ is pricing out at around $1,400, while Premium Select will cost around $1,700.
As has become expected, mileage pricing for this route is comical. While it’s possible to score a round-trip award ticket for around 70,000 SkyMiles in economy, you’ll pay over double (around 150,000 miles) for Premium Select.
Rates are all over the map for Delta One Suites, with a round-trip ticket setting you back as little as 575,000 SkyMiles or as much as 930,000. While those tallies are eye-popping, particularly compared to what this route could be had for just a few years ago, they actually don’t represent the worst value.
TPG values a SkyMile at 1.2 cents, which means that 575,000 of them are worth $6,900 — about 40% less than the going cash rate for the LAX-SYD round-trip. The 930,000 SkyMiles rate works out to roughly the same as the cash rate considering the MQMs and MQDs that you give up when you fly on an award ticket.
If you’re looking for alternatives, take a look at our guide to using points and miles for visiting Australia. Keep an eye out too for Delta flash sales to the region at TPG Deals, which can be had for as little as 44,000 SkyMiles round-trip in economy.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees