Deal Alert: Round-Trip Flights to Australia From 44,000 SkyMiles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Finding soft spots in the Delta SkyMiles program has grown increasingly difficult in recent years. It’s no secret that some have even given up trying to maximize their SkyMiles due to the atrocious award redemption rates, especially in premium cabins. However Delta does offer frequent award sales in economy and the carrier currently has deals on flights to Australia, starting from just 44,000 SkyMiles round-trip.
These discounted rates to Sydney (SYD) and Melbourne (MEL) appear to be an unpublished sale as it is not listed on Delta’s official SkyMiles deals website. That said, every city and rate will not be listed in this post. Round-trip economy awards to Australia currently start at just 44,000 SkyMiles + $114 in taxes/fees. Award redemptions for 44,000 SkyMiles are quite limited with only a few routes offering that rate. Other routes range from 50,000 miles to 70,000 miles round-trip. While 70,000 miles is not as amazing of a deal as 44,000 miles, it’s still quite an attractive rate given that award flights to Australia typically start around 90,000 SkyMiles round-trip.
Since this sale is unpublished the date by which the awards must be booked is not known. We recommend booking any flight as soon as possible if you want to take advantage of these great rates. Sales like this will typically last anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. If you do not see your preferred departure city listed below, it’s still worth checking Delta’s website to see if your departure city is included in this promotion.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at a 1:1 ratio.
Routes: LAX/SFO/IAD/JFK/LGA/EWR/ORD/STL/MCI/PDX/SEA/IND/DFW/AUS/LAS to SYD/MEL
Cost: 44,000+ SkyMiles and $113+ fees round-trip in economy
Dates: March-May 2019; although other dates may be available
Booking Link: Directly with Delta
Purchase by: We recommend purchasing within the next 48 hours
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Washington-National (DCA) to Sydney for 44,000 SkyMiles + $114 taxes and fees round-trip:
Washington-Dulles (IAD) to Sydney for 44,000 SkyMiles + $114 in taxes and fees round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $114 taxes and fees round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Melbourne (MEL) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $139 taxes and fees round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 SkyMiles + $108 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Seattle (SEA) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 SkyMiles + $113 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Atlanta (ATL) to Sydney (SYD) for 70,000 SkyMiles + $108 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Miami (MIA) to Sydney (SYD) for 70,000 SkyMiles + $114 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) for 76,000 SkyMiles + $134 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on excellent trip delay insurance), American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on flights) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply. Plus, this is a great card for defeating basic economy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.