Delayed again: Trusted Traveler enrollment won’t resume until Sept. 8
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Once again, travelers looking to update their Global Entry memberships will have to wait as COVID-19 spikes again in the U.S.
Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced Monday that Trusted Traveler enrollment centers will remain closed through Sept. 8, 2020, at the earliest — the latest in a series of similar announcements since centers closed in mid-March. Passengers arriving from international flights can still apply in-person at participating sites, although that will apply to a limited number of people, given that few U.S. travelers are currently permitted overseas.
One month ago, the Department of Homeland Security division said it was preparing to allow in-person interviews for Global Entry, SENTRI and U.S.-Mexico FAST again beginning July 6.
“The decision was made in consultation with CBP health and safety experts who continue to monitor the increase in COVID-19 cases across the United States,” the agency said in a statement, adding that “CBP’s highest priority is to ensure the health, safety and security of the American people.”
But if you’re stressing about your application, don’t worry: CBP further extended the period of time that applicants have to complete the enrollment process. You now have 545 days from the date that CBP conditionally approves your application to complete the enrollment process. And if your current membership expires before you can renew, you can enjoy an 18-month extension of your Trusted Traveler benefits.
Unfortunately, New York state residents are still ineligible for Global Entry privileges, as TPG previously reported.
How do you know if your Global Entry is expiring?
The most obvious way to check is by referring your Global Entry card for the expiration date. If you’ve lost track of your card, the Global Entry kiosks will alert you if your expiration is looming.
Beyond that, you also can check online, although that requires logging in with your Trusted Traveler profile. We’ve got the full set of instructions. Or, if you’ve lost track of your Trust Traveler profile, we’ve also got you covered if you need to create a new one.
Featured photo courtesy of U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees