Global Entry enrollment temporarily suspended due to coronavirus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New Yorkers don’t have to feel so singled out now.
Customs and Border Protection, the agency that oversees the Global Entry, NEXUS and SENTRI trusted traveler programs, announced Wednesday that enrollment in all three would be suspended beginning Thursday (March 19) through at least May 1.
“CBP is taking this precautionary measure to minimize the exposure of CBP personnel and the public to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19),” the agency said in a statement.
New Yorkers had previously been barred from enrolling by the Department of Homeland Security, and the moratorium has now been extended nationwide. (Though, it seems New York residents will still be unable to enroll, even after residents of the other 49 states can begin going in for interviews again.)
All full-time enrollment centers and mobile enrollment events are affected by CBP’s announcement, and the agency said its guidance about enrollment availability could change as the coronavirus outbreak progresses.
“Conditionally-approved applicants who seek an enrollment center interview will need to reschedule after May 1. These applicants are encouraged to monitor their e-mail and Trusted Traveler Program accounts for further information. CBP will continue to monitor the situation in order to resume enrollment centers interviews as soon as possible,” the statement said.
One small silver lining: enrollment on arrival for Global Entry applicants will still be available in all 60 participating airports.
Featured photo by Katherine Frey/The The Washington Post via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.