Dad goes viral on TikTok after buying airplane seats for his home
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
People have been coping with travel withdrawal in many different ways. Some began running on treadmills with suitcases, some have turned washing machines into airplane windows and some have even ordered airline meals to eat at home. And then there’s the dad that missed flying so much that he bought old airplane seats for his living room.
In a series of videos on TikTok, Annisa Simao shares the story of her father who recently purchased a pair of old Delta first-class seats. Her videos quickly went viral and even caught the attention of Delta’s CEO Ed Bastian.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In the first video of her mini-series, Annisa introduces her father, Steve Simao. “So this is my dad,” she says. “If you know him, you know he’s pretty goofy, always doing the most, pretty extra.” On his Instagram, he describes himself as a father, photographer, passionate traveler and the vice president of sales at Windstar Cruises. He’s also a Delta Diamond Medallion member who really misses flying.
While away at school, Annisa received a text from her father with a link to an eBay listing for used Delta first-class seats and the message “I want to buy this,” with a cry-laughing emoji. However, he was not joking. A couple days later, Simao pulled the trigger a ordered a pair of the seats.
Annisa received countless selfies of him enjoying the seats while away, and when returning home, found her father in full-on travel mode — sitting in his airplane seat with his seatbelt fastened, tucked in with a red, Delta-branded blanket and watching the airline’s safety in-flight safety video. He even had an original safety card on hand.
It didn’t take too long until Delta came across Annisa’s videos. Less than a week after Annisa posted the first video about her father, she received a personalized video from the airline’s CEO Ed Bastian, along with three round-trip first class flights to anywhere Delta flies in the U.S.
The first-class seats Simao purchased are from a retired McDonnell Douglas MD-90, often referred to as Mad Dog. The aircraft type first entered Delta’s fleet in November 1989 and was then quietly retired this year in June.
If you want a pair of old airplane seats of your own, you’re in luck. There are numerous listings for used seats from Delta and other airlines on eBay starting around $300. There are also several companies, such as Aircraft End-of-Life Solutions, which dismantle aircraft and then sell parts to the public. In addition to airplane seats, you could buy memorabilia like drink trolleys and old service items.
Featured image courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees