Limited Time: British Airways Brings Back $400 Business Class Discounts — With a Catch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of our favorite membership-based discounts has long been AARP’s partnership with British Airways. Open to travelers of all ages, a $16 per year AARP membership used to be able to save you $400 off business class British Airways flights, enabling me to book my first ever paid international business class flight to London Heathrow (LHR) back in 2015 for just $1,100 round-trip.
Sadly, the discount has been watered down over the past few years. First, the amount was lowered from $400 to $200 for business and first class tickets. Then the $130 per round-trip premium economy discount was pulled in late 2017. Finally, the 2018 version of the program eliminated the $200 discount for First Class tickets.
But for just the next few days, the discount is partially returning to its former glory. For flights booked through Thursday, April 5, AARP members can save a full $400 per person off of British Airways business class (Club World) tickets.
Of course, there’s a catch… In addition to booking by Thursday’s deadline, the flights must depart the US between November 17–24 or December 11 through January 3, 2019.
To get the discount, you must book a round-trip transatlantic ticket from the US and start your reservation from AARP’s British Airways landing page. In order to access that page, you’re going to need to log-in with your membership information. The membership costs just $16 per year and, yes, the “American Association of Retired Persons” will let people of all ages and any employment status become a member.
The terms and conditions state that “this offer is not combinable with any other discount or deal.” However, we’ve found that you can in fact combine this $400 discount with the 10% discount you get when paying with Chase Visa cards. For example, take this regular priced round-trip business class flight from Boston (BOS) to Amsterdam (AMS) at $2,268 round-trip…
By stacking both discounts, we were able to bring it down to just $1,681 round-trip:
While the 10% discount is designed for cardholders of the British Airways Visa Signature Card, readers have reported successfully using other Chase cards such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. For full details and terms on how to take advantage of this Visa 10% off promotion, check out this comprehensive guide.
Featured image by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images.
One of the biggest benefits that this card offers is a Travel Together ticket (good for two years) that can be earned annually after you spend $30,000 in a calendar year. You'll earn 3 Avios per dollar spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Plus earn an additional 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 on your purchases within your first year of account opening.
- 3 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and Level.
- 2 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations, plus 1 Avios per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- 10% off British Airways flights starting in the US when you book by March 31, 2020.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Simply tap to pay with your contactless British Airways Visa Signature Card. Just look for the contactless symbol at checkout. It's fast, easy and secure!