British Airways Extends — But Devalues — 2017 AARP Discount
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 5/22/17: In a rare move, British Airways and AARP have extended the date ranges well ahead of expiration. The terms and conditions have now been updated to allow the discount on flights through December 31, 2018 — instead of the previous limitation of March 31, 2018. You must still book by December 31, 2017 to get the discount.
One of the greatest travel promos available over the past few years has been the AARP British Airways discount. For just a $16/year membership — open to travelers of all ages — you could save $65 off round-trip economy flights, $130 off round-trip premium economy flights or $400 off round-trip business and first-class flights. This is the discount that led to some of the best premium-cabin deals we’ve ever posted, such as this $446 + 30,000 Avios business class deal to Spain and this $1,058 business class deal to Italy.
This version of the discount was set to expire on January 31. While this discount has come up for renewal in the past, it has always been extended in advance of the deadline. So, we were worried when this discount still hadn’t been extended by yesterday.
Want the good news or the bad news? Let’s start with the good. British Airways has extended this AARP discount through December 31, 2017. The bad news is that the discount has been cut for business and first-class flights. Instead of saving $400 per round-trip, AARP members will only save $200 per booking. However, economy and premium economy travelers retain their discounts ($65 and $130, respectively).
You can now book flights using this promotion through December 31, 2017 for flights as far out at March 31, 2018. Besides that, all of the terms and conditions remain the same from the previous version.
The $400 AARP discount was a bit too good to be true. So, we are saddened but not surprised that it’s been slashed in half. Still, if you’re going to fly transatlantic, an AARP membership is a no-brainer. British Airways has been offering really cheap economy fares, as it continues to battle with low-cost carrier Norwegian for transatlantic market share, while discounted premium-cabin fares continue to pop up from time to time as well.
Featured image courtesy of British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.