How to save up to $200 plus 10% off British Airways round-trip flights in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – British Airways Visa Signature Card
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with an extension of this promotion. It was originally published on Jan. 15, 2019.
British Airways may not be highly popular among miles collectors due to the high surcharges it charges on award flights. However, BA’s many U.S. gateways and European destinations make it a great airline for getting a deal to Europe, and booking cheap BA premium-cabin flights can be a great way of earning American Airlines status. But, if you’re paying full price for those flights, you’re leaving money on the table.
After all, anyone can pay a $16 per year membership fee to save up to $200 per person off British Airways flights. The promotion is a long-running partnership between British Airways and AARP. And, in case you’re wondering, the American Association of Retired Persons will let people of all ages and any employment status sign up and book British Airways flights with a discount. As a 34-year-old non-retired person, I’m a five-year-and-counting member of the AARP — having signed up originally to book a $1,100 round-trip business-class flight to Spain.
While this discount isn’t a guaranteed benefit of AARP membership, it’s been extended each and every year — although it’s been cut back over the years. The latest version was set to expire on Jan. 31, 2020, but we just got the good news that the discount has been extended until April 30, 2020.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Here’s how the discount breaks down for 2020:
- Save up to $65 off travel in economy (World Traveller)
- Save up to $200 off travel in business (Club World)
In order to get this discount, there are plenty of limitations to keep in mind:
- Book by April 30, 2020, for outbound travel through Dec. 31, 2020.
- Must log in and book through AARP’s British Airways discount page.
- Discount only reduces the base fare. This limits the discount for cheap flights.
- Valid on British Airways-operated flights and BA codeshare flights operated by American Airlines and Iberia.
- Must book a round-trip; no open-jaw itineraries allowed.
- Inbound and outbound travel must be booked in the same cabin.
- Only valid for “U.S. residents paying in U.S. dollars only, with travel originating in the U.S.”
But, there’s some good news. While the terms and conditions state that “this offer is not combinable with any other discount or deal,” we’ve found that you can in fact combine this $200 with the 10% discount you’ll get when paying with Chase Visa cards.
While this discount is designed for cardholders of the British Airways Visa Signature Card, we’ve been able to successfully use other Chase cards such as Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card to get this discount. For full details, check out our guide to saving 10% off British Airways flights.
Featured photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees