How to save up to $200 plus 10% off British Airways round-trip flights in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – British Airways Visa Signature Card
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with an extension of this promotion. It was originally published on Jan. 15, 2019.
British Airways may not be highly popular among miles collectors due to the high surcharges it charges on award flights. However, BA’s many U.S. gateways and European destinations make it a great airline for getting a deal to Europe, and booking cheap BA premium-cabin flights can be a great way of earning American Airlines status. But, if you’re paying full price for those flights, you’re leaving money on the table.
After all, anyone can pay a $16 per year membership fee to save up to $200 per person off British Airways flights. The promotion is a long-running partnership between British Airways and AARP. And, in case you’re wondering, the American Association of Retired Persons will let people of all ages and any employment status sign up and book British Airways flights with a discount. As a 34-year-old non-retired person, I’m a five-year-and-counting member of the AARP — having signed up originally to book a $1,100 round-trip business-class flight to Spain.
While this discount isn’t a guaranteed benefit of AARP membership, it’s been extended each and every year — although it’s been cut back over the years. The latest version was set to expire on Jan. 31, 2020, but we just got the good news that the discount has been extended until April 30, 2020.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Here’s how the discount breaks down for 2020:
- Save up to $65 off travel in economy (World Traveller)
- Save up to $200 off travel in business (Club World)
In order to get this discount, there are plenty of limitations to keep in mind:
- Book by April 30, 2020, for outbound travel through Dec. 31, 2020.
- Must log in and book through AARP’s British Airways discount page.
- Discount only reduces the base fare. This limits the discount for cheap flights.
- Valid on British Airways-operated flights and BA codeshare flights operated by American Airlines and Iberia.
- Must book a round-trip; no open-jaw itineraries allowed.
- Inbound and outbound travel must be booked in the same cabin.
- Only valid for “U.S. residents paying in U.S. dollars only, with travel originating in the U.S.”
But, there’s some good news. While the terms and conditions state that “this offer is not combinable with any other discount or deal,” we’ve found that you can in fact combine this $200 with the 10% discount you’ll get when paying with Chase Visa cards.
While this discount is designed for cardholders of the British Airways Visa Signature Card, we’ve been able to successfully use other Chase cards such as Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card to get this discount. For full details, check out our guide to saving 10% off British Airways flights.
Featured photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.