American Airlines rolls out new elite status based on lower 2020 requirements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve seen all major U.S. airlines make major adjustments to their loyalty programs.
Perhaps the biggest update is the sweeping elite status extensions. Most currently valid status on American, Delta and United is being extended across the board through Jan. 31, 2022.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter
Though American was about a week later than Delta and United in announcing such changes, it added some unique and generous perks with its offer. For one, it’s the only carrier to already extend status for its invite-only elite status tier, Concierge Key. Additionally, the Fort Worth, Texas based carrier introduced two promotions. One that allows you to earn Million Miler status through credit card spend and another that gives elite a credit for a future Vacations package.
Though the carrier made these announcements on April 13, 2020, it promised to have the back-end systems updated by May 15, 2020. Well, as stated on its updated webpage, American is now in the process of rolling out these updates, about ten days earlier than initially promised.
The status trackers have now been updated to reflect the lowered 2020 thresholds.
However, my four unexpired systemwide upgrades haven’t yet been extended, nor has my actual status been pushed to January 2022.
According to the AA website, all the AAdvantage adjustments are going to be made over the course of the “next few days.” This includes extending currently valid status, lowering the elite qualifying thresholds, extending the expiration date for systemwide upgrades, lowering the EQM threshold for Executive Platinum rewards and introducing the Million Miler promotion.
This also means that you may get a status boost in the next few days if you already flew a bunch before the coronavirus halted most travel in mid-March.
American’s system updates follow closely after United’s. UA made most of its back-end updates about two weeks ago. Delta, on the other hand, has confirmed that extended Medallion status will be reflected on Feb. 1, 2021.
All in all, it’s great to see American using this downtime to speed up the implementation of its AAdvantage changes. Be sure to monitor your accounts over the next few days to make sure that everything looks the way it should.
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.