American Airlines rolls out new elite status based on lower 2020 requirements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve seen all major U.S. airlines make major adjustments to their loyalty programs.
Perhaps the biggest update is the sweeping elite status extensions. Most currently valid status on American, Delta and United is being extended across the board through Jan. 31, 2022.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter
Though American was about a week later than Delta and United in announcing such changes, it added some unique and generous perks with its offer. For one, it’s the only carrier to already extend status for its invite-only elite status tier, Concierge Key. Additionally, the Fort Worth, Texas based carrier introduced two promotions. One that allows you to earn Million Miler status through credit card spend and another that gives elite a credit for a future Vacations package.
Though the carrier made these announcements on April 13, 2020, it promised to have the back-end systems updated by May 15, 2020. Well, as stated on its updated webpage, American is now in the process of rolling out these updates, about ten days earlier than initially promised.
The status trackers have now been updated to reflect the lowered 2020 thresholds.
However, my four unexpired systemwide upgrades haven’t yet been extended, nor has my actual status been pushed to January 2022.
According to the AA website, all the AAdvantage adjustments are going to be made over the course of the “next few days.” This includes extending currently valid status, lowering the elite qualifying thresholds, extending the expiration date for systemwide upgrades, lowering the EQM threshold for Executive Platinum rewards and introducing the Million Miler promotion.
This also means that you may get a status boost in the next few days if you already flew a bunch before the coronavirus halted most travel in mid-March.
American’s system updates follow closely after United’s. UA made most of its back-end updates about two weeks ago. Delta, on the other hand, has confirmed that extended Medallion status will be reflected on Feb. 1, 2021.
All in all, it’s great to see American using this downtime to speed up the implementation of its AAdvantage changes. Be sure to monitor your accounts over the next few days to make sure that everything looks the way it should.
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees