Elites can now use $400 American Airlines Vacations credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year
Gold members will receive $300, Platinum and Platinum Pro will receive $350 and Executive Platinum will receive $400. This credit could shave a nice portion off of the cost of your next trip.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
American Airlines Vacations offers packages that include flights and hotel (and rental cars from Budget or Avis, if you wish) bundled together, often at a discount compared to booking each separately. Like other online travel agencies, you generally won’t earn points or elite credits for the hotel part of the booking.
Additionally, you’ll also earn 1,000 AAdvantage miles — worth $14 based on TPG valuations — when booking any American Airlines Vacations package.
The airline was the last of the big 3 U.S. airlines to extend elite status, granting another year of status to all its current elites, through Jan. 31, 2022. Additionally, it extended perks and made it easier to earn lifetime status.
We’ve previously covered many of the updates, but today we’re going to dive a bit more into the American Airlines Vacations credit. Here’s what you need to know.
To receive the offer, you must call American Airlines Vacations at 800-321-2121 — you can’t book online — to purchase a vacation package for travel by Dec. 20, 2021. Multiple hotel stays are valid for the promotion as long as the total nights booked is greater than the minimum stay requirements. Keep in mind that the credit will be based on your elite status as of June 30, 2020, so, for example, if you’re an American Airlines Platinum Pro member on June 30, you’ll get a $350 credit.
This promotion is valid for new Vacations bookings only, and the package must include round-trip airfare and hotel and meet a minimum spend requirement of $2,500.
You can occasionally get excellent business-class deals using the AA Vacation portal. For instance, I was able to find a deal for two from New York-JFK to Milan (MXP) for mid-February 2021 dates. The hotel isn’t the greatest, but I want to focus on the flight.
The cost of two tickets is $4,236, or $2,118 per person. While that’s a great deal in and of itself, if you add on the elite credit, the price drops as low as $1,918 per person if you’re an Executive Platinum. Even if you’re an AAdvantage Gold member, the cost is still less than $2,000 per person. Considering cash tickets for the same flight are almost $2,600 per person, saving a few hundred dollars by using the credit is the way to go.
Finally, American frequently runs AA Vacations promotions — like this $250 off sale for Mexico, Hawaii, and the Caribbean. But unfortunately, this promotion can’t be combined with other offers.
Featured photo courtesy of Per Breiehagen/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees