Elites can now use $400 American Airlines Vacations credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year
Gold members will receive $300, Platinum and Platinum Pro will receive $350 and Executive Platinum will receive $400. This credit could shave a nice portion off of the cost of your next trip.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
American Airlines Vacations offers packages that include flights and hotel (and rental cars from Budget or Avis, if you wish) bundled together, often at a discount compared to booking each separately. Like other online travel agencies, you generally won’t earn points or elite credits for the hotel part of the booking.
Additionally, you’ll also earn 1,000 AAdvantage miles — worth $14 based on TPG valuations — when booking any American Airlines Vacations package.
The airline was the last of the big 3 U.S. airlines to extend elite status, granting another year of status to all its current elites, through Jan. 31, 2022. Additionally, it extended perks and made it easier to earn lifetime status.
We’ve previously covered many of the updates, but today we’re going to dive a bit more into the American Airlines Vacations credit. Here’s what you need to know.
To receive the offer, you must call American Airlines Vacations at 800-321-2121 — you can’t book online — to purchase a vacation package for travel by Dec. 20, 2021. Multiple hotel stays are valid for the promotion as long as the total nights booked is greater than the minimum stay requirements. Keep in mind that the credit will be based on your elite status as of June 30, 2020, so, for example, if you’re an American Airlines Platinum Pro member on June 30, you’ll get a $350 credit.
This promotion is valid for new Vacations bookings only, and the package must include round-trip airfare and hotel and meet a minimum spend requirement of $2,500.
You can occasionally get excellent business-class deals using the AA Vacation portal. For instance, I was able to find a deal for two from New York-JFK to Milan (MXP) for mid-February 2021 dates. The hotel isn’t the greatest, but I want to focus on the flight.
The cost of two tickets is $4,236, or $2,118 per person. While that’s a great deal in and of itself, if you add on the elite credit, the price drops as low as $1,918 per person if you’re an Executive Platinum. Even if you’re an AAdvantage Gold member, the cost is still less than $2,000 per person. Considering cash tickets for the same flight are almost $2,600 per person, saving a few hundred dollars by using the credit is the way to go.
Finally, American frequently runs AA Vacations promotions — like this $250 off sale for Mexico, Hawaii, and the Caribbean. But unfortunately, this promotion can’t be combined with other offers.
Featured photo courtesy of Per Breiehagen/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.