The end of an era: Last chance to book Emirates awards with Alaska miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been saving Alaska miles to book an Emirates flight, now is the time to cash in.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
This announcement came roughly two months after Alaska Airlines officially joined the Oneworld alliance. When Alaska originally announced plans to join the alliance, the airlines said it planned to maintain its relationships with unaligned partners like Emirates.
That’s no longer the case. Per a message on Alaska’s website:
Our partnership with Emirates will end on July 31, 2021. Mileage Plan members can continue to earn and redeem* miles on oneworld® member airlines and our Global Partners to more than 1,000 destinations on 20+ airlines worldwide. For travel to India, the Middle East or Africa, guests can fly Qatar Airways in unparalleled comfort with their revolutionary Qsuite, the most private Business Class in the sky.
Tickets booked before June 2, 2021 will earn miles as usual for any dates already ticketed. Meanwhile, those booked on or after June 2 will only earn miles through July 31, 2021.
A spokesperson of Alaska Airlines confirmed the news to TPG, explaining, “After a successful partnership spanning nearly a decade, Alaska Airlines and Emirates will end their partnership on July 31, 2021. Effective Aug. 1, the airlines will no longer have agreements covering codeshare, frequent flier programs and lounge cooperation. The partnership began in 2012. ”
On the flip side, we now have a better idea of when Alaska will launch Oneworld alliance-wide redemptions.
Although Alaska has been a part of Oneworld for a couple of months now, it hasn’t yet been possible to redeem Mileage Plan miles on all partners, including Qatar Airways. So far, we just knew that Oneworld alliance-wide redemptions were going live by the end of the summer. However, the Qatar partner page on Alaska’s website has been updated to say, “award bookings will be available in August 2021.” Today’s news might suggest that Aug. 1 is the date that you’ll be able to redeem miles across all alliance partners.
Overall this is disappointing news for Alaska Mileage Plan members, as it means one less way to redeem your miles. On the bright side, members were given plenty of notice and can still book Emirates awards beyond July 31 — they just won’t be changeable past that date.
Alternately, the Emirates Skywards program is still a solid option for booking Emirates awards since it no longer tacks on massive fuel surcharges. Another perk of Skywards is that, unlike Alaska, it’s a transfer partner of all the major flexible points programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards and Capital One Venture miles. It’s also still possible to book Emirates awards through other partners, including Oneworld members Qantas and Japan Airlines.
This April, Emirates began limiting first-class awards to some partners, including Alaska. It may have been in anticipation of this announcement.
Alaska hasn’t announced any changes to other non-Oneworld partners like El Al, Icelandair and Singapore Airlines.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees