Update: American award tickets again bookable on the British Airways website
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest information.
Update Dec. 14, 2021: American awards are again bookable on the British Airways website. You should now be able to search and book these awards as usual
The original unedited story continues below.
British Airways Executive Club has had some major issues over the past few weeks. The program experienced scheduled downtime in late November, where Avios bookings and other website functions were scheduled to be down for four days.
This quickly turned into a more extended downtime, and a couple of weeks later some Executive Club members still aren’t able to log into their accounts. This means some members cannot search for award flights or redeem their Avios.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips, subscribe to The Points Guy’s daily email newsletter.
Making a complicated issue even worse, for those who are able to access their accounts, there’s a new issue at play: American Airlines award tickets aren’t showing online.
I searched for a handful of flights with verified award space, and none appeared on the “Book With Avios” page on the British Airways website. For example, this American award flight from Philadelphia (PHL) to Memphis (MEM) has partner-bookable award space, per the Alaska Airlines website.
However, the same search yields no award space on the British Airways website.
Interestingly enough, other partners are showing on the Avios search engine. For example, this flight from Seattle (SEA) to Dallas (DFW) has award space on both American and Alaska, per the Alaska website.
On the Avios search engine, though, only Alaska award flights appear. Oddly, the Caribbean Airlines logo appears instead of the Alaska logo.
Further, other partners like Qantas appear correctly on the Avios search engine.
If you need to book an American flight with your Avios right now, you may have luck finding award space using your favorite Oneworld search tool and calling British Airways at 800-452-1201 to book. Unfortunately, this means you could be met with long hold times given there are changing U.K. entry requirements due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Right now, American award flights aren’t showing on the British Airways “Search With Avios” page. We’re hopeful that this will be fixed in the near future, and TPG has reached out to British Airways for comment on when this will be fixed. Until then, you’ll need to call BA to book these award tickets.
Feature photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees