Fly to a reopened Morocco this fall for just 44,000 miles each way in business class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Morocco restarted international flights and opened its borders to tourism from many countries on June 15, 2021. This includes the U.S., which is on the country’s “List A.” Those coming from countries on this list can enter Morocco with a negative PCR test administered within 48 hours of the date of entry or proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Many businesses have reopened in Morocco, but there is still an 11 pm to 4:30 am curfew in effect. We’re hopeful that these restrictions will be eased over time. Regardless, you can now return to Morocco to experience its amazing food and cultural sights.
Royal Air Maroc is again flying to its Casablanca (CMN) hub from New York-JFK and Washington-Dulles (IAD). We’re finding plenty of open award space on both routes in business class this fall and winter.
You can transfer American Express Membership Rewards, Capital One and Citi ThankYou points to Royal Air Maroc partner Etihad Guest and book tickets for just 44,000 points each way in business class. This is far cheaper than booking with other partners like American AAdvantage or British Airways Avios.
Let’s take a closer look at the award space and how to book.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter!
Airline: Royal Air Maroc
Routes: New York-JFK, Washington-Dulles (IAD) to Casablanca (CMN)
Cost: From 88,000 Amex, Capital One or Citi points round-trip (transferred to Etihad Guest)
Dates: September through December 2021
How to book: Find award space with your favorite Oneworld search tool and call Etihad Guest to book
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or with American Express Travel; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
IS it worth it?
Business-class flights to Morocco are never cheap, and this fall is no exception. Nonstop flights from New York-JFK to Casablanca (CMN) start at just over $3,800 round-trip for the bulk of the fall schedule and get higher close to New Year’s Eve.
You can book the same flights for just 88,000 Etihad miles and moderate taxes and fees (~$300) round-trip. This gives you over 4 cents per point in value which is excellent for any major transferable points currency.
That said, a country’s reopening plans can change at the last minute. Keep an eye on the U.S. Embassy in Morocco’s website for up-to-date entry information and make sure you fully understand the change and cancellation policy of the loyalty program you book.
Open Royal Air Maroc award space to Casablanca
Here’s a look at open award space to Casablanca from Royal Air Maroc’s gateways in New York and Washington D.C.:
New York-JFK to/from Casablanca (CMN)
- September: 1, 3, 7-9, 21, 27 and 28
- October: 3, 8, 11-12 and 31
- November: 4, 9-10, 13-14, 16-17, 19 and 27
- December: None
- September: 1, 3, 7-10, 16, 21-23, 25, 27 and 29
- October: 5, 7, 12 and 27
- November: 2-3, 5, 16, 18-19, 21, 24-28 and 30
- December: 1-2, 7-8, 10-19, 20-26 and 28
Washington-Dulles (IAD) to/from Casablanca (CMN)
- September: 4-6, 12, 15, 19, 24 and 26
- October: 6, 17, 20, 22, 24 and 31
- November: 3, 7, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 26 and 28
- December: 3, 5, 10, 29 and 31
- September: 3-6, 10, 15, 17, 22 and 24
- October: 1, 6, 22 and 29
- November: 3, 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 24, 26 and 28
- December: 3, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26 and 31
Boosting your Membership Rewards balance
You can earn American Express Membership Rewards points by spending on an Amex card. Here’s a look at some of my favorite Amex cards and their current welcome offers. Each card has its own set of benefits and fees, so do your own research to find a good fit for you.
- American Express® Green Card: 45,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $2,000 on purchases within the first six months of card membership. Earn 3x points on dining at restaurants, travel and transit (including flights, hotels, transit, taxis, tours, and ridesharing services), 1x points on all other purchases ($150 annual fee; see rates and fees).
- American Express® Gold Card: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first six months of account opening. Earn 4x points on dining at restaurants; 4x points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x points); 3x points on airfare purchased directly from airlines or American Express Travel; 1x points on all other purchases, ($250 annual fee; see rates and fees).
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after spending $6,000 on purchases in your first six months of card membership. Earn 5x points on airfare purchased directly from airlines or with American Express Travel (earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), 5x on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel, and Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts; 1x on all other purchases, ($695 annual fee; see rates and fees).
The information for the Amex Green card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Morocco is an incredible country, and it’s great to see it reopen to American tourists. If you’re interested in traveling to the North African country this year, consider booking your tickets now before award space is booked up.
Feature photo by ESB Professional / Shutterstock.com
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here
For rates and fees of the Amex Green Card, click here
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold Card, click here
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.