This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the last two years American Express has made constant improvements to The Platinum Card® from American Express including the introduction of 5x points on flights, a $200 Uber credit and a $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit. Today the bank is announcing another enhancement to its flagship product.
For those who have either The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum® Card from American Express they will now earn 5x points on Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts bookings when reserving through AmexTravel.com. Additionally, Platinum and Business Platinum cardholders will be able to use the Pay with Points feature when booking stays at Amex FHR properties.
In the past, Platinum cardmembers would earn 5x points on prepaid hotels booked through Amex Travel, but this excluded FHR stays, which would still just earn the standard 1x points per dollar. Now a stay through FHR will be even more rewarding, earning 5x points, which is equivalent to 9.5% back according to TPG’s valuations.
For those unfamiliar with Amex FHR, it offers a slew benefits at luxury hotels including:
- Room upgrade upon arrival, when available
- Daily breakfast for two people
- Guaranteed 4pm late check-out
- Noon check-in, when available
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Unique amenity, such as a food and beverage credit or one-way private sedan transfer
Some FHR properties are even eligible for a third or fourth night free when going through Amex, a Perk which can literally save thousands of dollars. Last year TPG’s Zach Honig booked a stay at Amenjena through Amex FHR and received a slew of amazing benefits: like an upgrade to insane suite and two complimentary 50 minute massages.
Amex tells us that the benefit will be introduced on a rolling basis through 2019 but has already activated 5x earning for a small number of FHR properties. While Amex rolls out the perk, some FHR properties will not be bookable online, and you’ll have to call in to reserve a room. To earn 5x points, you’ll have to book online and not over the phone.
It appears that it’s already the case at two properties in the Bahamas, including the Rosewood Baha Mar, which TPG Editor Melanie Lieberman recently reviewed:
Although, the Park Hyatt New York and Four Seasons are already bookable online through Amex Travel, eligible for 5x points or Pay with Points:
Do note that bookings eligible for the 5x points are only at prepaid rates, however Amex FHR prepaid rates are a little different than similarly named bookings. You’ll have to pay upfront for your stay but in the past FHR bookings are usually subject to the hotel’s cancellation policy (not Amex’s) and eligible to earn hotel loyalty points — both usually not the case when booking through other online travel agencies. It’s possible this won’t be the case since these new FHR bookings are processed by Amextravel.com, but it’s still too early to tell.
This improvement is just another reason why The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum® Card from American Express are some of the best travel reward cards available and make the list of best cards for booking luxury hotel stays. And with the coming cap on Citi Prestige’s 4th night free perk, it’s great to see Amex adding additional benefits to its Fine Hotels and Resorts program.
Featured image of Amenjena by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees