Deal alert: $326 round-trip flights from US cities to Amsterdam
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Netherlands reopened less than a month ago to tourists from the U.S., and we are already seeing some major flight deals to its capital and most famed city, Amsterdam.
With no vaccine, negative COVID-19 test or quarantine required, a flight as low as $326 round-trip to one of the six places in Europe without COVID-19 entry protocols is really just the cherry on top.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The fares are through TAP, the flag carrier of Portugal, which often has cheaper flights than its competitors from the U.S. to Europe — they often require a stop in Lisbon (LIS). In 2017, I first flew TAP from Newark (EWR) to Brussels (BRU) on a one-way flight for approximately $200. Bear in mind that I was a student at the time, which furthered the discount.
Today’s deal comes to us thanks to Scott’s Cheap Flights and is for deals originating from multiple U.S. cities primarily between November 2021 and early March 2022 with some routes including Thanksgiving but exclude the Christmas holidays and New Year’s Eve.
Airline: TAP Portugal
Routes: BOS/ORD/MIA/EWR/SFO/IAD to AMS
Cost: From $326+ round-trip
Dates: Book for travel between November 2021 and March 2022
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
To search for this flight deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin point and Amsterdam as your destination, as I have done below. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work best for you.
You will notice that layovers often come as part of flight deals, including an almost 15-hour one as shown above, so be sure to take note of that if long layovers are a deal-breaker for you. The total price includes taxes and fees for one adult. TAP’s economy class allows for one personal item and one bag under 17 lbs. You can pay $32 to check a bag.
You can also find similar deals to AMS from:
- Boston (BOS) — $326
- Chicago (ORD) — $332
- Miami (MIA) — $326
These deals are only expected to be around for one to two days, so act fast.
As for recommendations once you arrive in Amsterdam, may I suggest the De Pijp neighbourhood, where I stayed in an Airbnb on my last visit in 2019. There, you’ll find the Alberty Cuyp Market, where I particularly enjoyed fries; Dutch hotdogs topped with potato crisps at Bulls and Dog, gluten-free vegan pancakes at Mr. Stacks (temporarily closed) and the super trendy coffee shop, Coffee and Coconuts (see below).
Don’t forget one of the city’s lovely parks, including Vondelpark and Sarphatipark, featured below.
Featured photo of Amsterdam, Netherland by Liz Hund/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees