5,000 bonus miles for transferring Capital One miles to TAP Portugal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Capital One recently added TAP Portugal Miles&Go as a 1:1 transfer partner and it is offering 5,000 bonus miles on your first transfer. To take advantage of this offer, you’ll need to transfer a minimum of 5,000 Capital One miles to TAP Portugal. Keep in mind that transfers are not immediate and can take up to seven days to process.
That won’t be a problem for most people, since travel to Europe is still largely off the table, but worth considering since the promotion is valid through May 31, 2021.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While this promotion sounds like an easy way to bank 5,000 bonus miles, it’s generally not a good idea to transfer points without a specific use in mind. Transfers are not reversible and airline miles can devalue at any time. So as tempting as it may sound to score a 100% mileage bonus in this scenario, I wouldn’t do it unless you’re topping off your account for a specific award.
It’s also worth considering that Capital One now has 19 transfer partners, eight of them being 1:1 like TAP.
- Avianca LifeMiles
- Etihad Guest
- Asia Miles
- Aeromexico Club Premier
- Finnair Plus
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- TAP Portugal Miles&Go
- Wyndham Rewards
Your Capital One miles may come in handy down the line when you’re booking an Etihad sweet spot award or topping up your Avianca Lifemiles balance for a Star Alliance award that is likely going to be cheaper than using TAP Portugal.
This promotion aside, Capital One is making some exciting changes to its loyalty program. If you don’t already have a Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, now is a good time to consider one. Not only has the expanded partner list and 1:1 transfers made the card more valuable, but you can also score a pretty substantial welcome bonus as a new cardholder: Earn 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Featured image by Sean3810/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.