5,000 bonus miles for transferring Capital One miles to TAP Portugal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Capital One recently added TAP Portugal Miles&Go as a 1:1 transfer partner and it is offering 5,000 bonus miles on your first transfer. To take advantage of this offer, you’ll need to transfer a minimum of 5,000 Capital One miles to TAP Portugal. Keep in mind that transfers are not immediate and can take up to seven days to process.
That won’t be a problem for most people, since travel to Europe is still largely off the table, but worth considering since the promotion is valid through May 31, 2021.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While this promotion sounds like an easy way to bank 5,000 bonus miles, it’s generally not a good idea to transfer points without a specific use in mind. Transfers are not reversible and airline miles can devalue at any time. So as tempting as it may sound to score a 100% mileage bonus in this scenario, I wouldn’t do it unless you’re topping off your account for a specific award.
It’s also worth considering that Capital One now has 19 transfer partners, eight of them being 1:1 like TAP.
- Avianca LifeMiles
- Etihad Guest
- Asia Miles
- Aeromexico Club Premier
- Finnair Plus
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- TAP Portugal Miles&Go
- Wyndham Rewards
Your Capital One miles may come in handy down the line when you’re booking an Etihad sweet spot award or topping up your Avianca Lifemiles balance for a Star Alliance award that is likely going to be cheaper than using TAP Portugal.
This promotion aside, Capital One is making some exciting changes to its loyalty program. If you don’t already have a Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, now is a good time to consider one. Not only has the expanded partner list and 1:1 transfers made the card more valuable, but you can also score a nice welcome bonus as a new cardholder: 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
Featured image by Sean3810/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees