How Much Wine Does an Airline Alliance Serve in a Year?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s the part of any flight that almost every passenger enjoys: ordering an in-flight beverage. But just how many drinks does it take to quench all those thirsty passengers?
According to new numbers released from Oneworld Alliance, it served roughly 30 million bottles of wine and 2.5 million bottles of Champagne last year alone.
Oneworld, which was just voted the best airline alliance for in-flight wine for the ninth time by Business Traveller, released some other drink statistics to raise a glass to:
- Finnair served one million liters of blueberry juice, which is its signature drink.
- Qantas is the third largest buyer of wine in all of Australia.
- Cathay Pacific brews its own signature beer, Betsy, which was crafted to be enjoyed at 36,000 feet.
- British Airways has its own signature gin.
Also scooping up awards for in-flight wine was Oneworld’s Qantas for Best First Class White, Best First Class Cellar and Best Business Class Fortified/Dessert Wine; Cathay Pacific and Malaysia Airlines both received the gold medal for Best First Class Sparkling.
The awards, announced yesterday, February 20, following a blind tasting done by four leading experts of hundreds of wines served on long-haul flights by 32 airlines from around the world.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees