How Much Wine Does an Airline Alliance Serve in a Year?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s the part of any flight that almost every passenger enjoys: ordering an in-flight beverage. But just how many drinks does it take to quench all those thirsty passengers?
According to new numbers released from Oneworld Alliance, it served roughly 30 million bottles of wine and 2.5 million bottles of Champagne last year alone.
Oneworld, which was just voted the best airline alliance for in-flight wine for the ninth time by Business Traveller, released some other drink statistics to raise a glass to:
- Finnair served one million liters of blueberry juice, which is its signature drink.
- Qantas is the third largest buyer of wine in all of Australia.
- Cathay Pacific brews its own signature beer, Betsy, which was crafted to be enjoyed at 36,000 feet.
- British Airways has its own signature gin.
Also scooping up awards for in-flight wine was Oneworld’s Qantas for Best First Class White, Best First Class Cellar and Best Business Class Fortified/Dessert Wine; Cathay Pacific and Malaysia Airlines both received the gold medal for Best First Class Sparkling.
The awards, announced yesterday, February 20, following a blind tasting done by four leading experts of hundreds of wines served on long-haul flights by 32 airlines from around the world.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.