This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas just added a new beauty queen to its fleet: a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner named “Emily Kame Kngwarreye”. It’s the latest one in a line of gorgeous jets painted in incredibly colorful liveries inspired by Aboriginal art.
The airline unveiled its newest Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Wednesday.
The Dreamliner’s custom-painted livery incorporates the airline’s iconic flying kangaroo into the design in earthy red tones and almost 5,000 white dots. The artwork pays homage to the heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, and required over 60 artists and engineers at Boeing’s Seattle facility to complete.
This is the fifth Qantas aircraft featuring indigenous designs.
If you’d like to fly on the Emily Kame Kngwarreye and its 787 brethren, Qantas Dreamliners currently operate between Melbourne and Los Angeles, and the carrier will launch its first nonstop flight between Perth and London on March 24 — the world’s longest nonstop flight, by the way, at 9,010 miles. (Stay tuned for our report on the inaugural flight, on which TPG’s JT Genter has bravely booked a seat in economy class.)
Starting September 1, Qantas will replace its current daily 747 service between Brisbane and New York via Los Angeles with a 787, and will also add a new route between Melbourne and San Francisco. That adds quite a few opportunities for photographers, AvGeeks and planespotters to see the plane, using its tail number VH-ZND to follow it around the world using a flight tracker site.
All images courtesy of Qantas.
Cabin Tour: Qantas 787-9 Business Class
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees