Qantas Reveals The Newest Version of Its Stunning Special-Color Planes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas just added a new beauty queen to its fleet: a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner named “Emily Kame Kngwarreye”. It’s the latest one in a line of gorgeous jets painted in incredibly colorful liveries inspired by Aboriginal art.
The airline unveiled its newest Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Wednesday.
The Dreamliner’s custom-painted livery incorporates the airline’s iconic flying kangaroo into the design in earthy red tones and almost 5,000 white dots. The artwork pays homage to the heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, and required over 60 artists and engineers at Boeing’s Seattle facility to complete.
This is the fifth Qantas aircraft featuring indigenous designs.
If you’d like to fly on the Emily Kame Kngwarreye and its 787 brethren, Qantas Dreamliners currently operate between Melbourne and Los Angeles, and the carrier will launch its first nonstop flight between Perth and London on March 24 — the world’s longest nonstop flight, by the way, at 9,010 miles. (Stay tuned for our report on the inaugural flight, on which TPG’s JT Genter has bravely booked a seat in economy class.)
Starting September 1, Qantas will replace its current daily 747 service between Brisbane and New York via Los Angeles with a 787, and will also add a new route between Melbourne and San Francisco. That adds quite a few opportunities for photographers, AvGeeks and planespotters to see the plane, using its tail number VH-ZND to follow it around the world using a flight tracker site.
All images courtesy of Qantas.
Cabin Tour: Qantas 787-9 Business Class
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees