United to Eliminate Drink Carts From Polaris Cabins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/11/18: The airline has clarified that unfortunately the “wine arc” (re: wine flight) will be eliminated as well, though passengers can still request to try as many wines as they wish.
Currently, these carts provide passengers with custom Bloody Marys and mimosas on morning flights — typically outbound from Europe, or daytime eastbound transatlantic flights — and wine carts on all other routes.
The wine carts offer a choice of six wines, and travelers can even order flights to sample three or all six vintages.
The official line from United is business-class passengers want more time to relax, and removing the drink carts speeds up beverage service.
United spokesperson Jonathan Guerin told TPG‘s editor-at-large Zach Honig today:
“This change is meant to increase the speed of the beverage service to allow customers more time for relaxation, which is what they have told us is their top priority. Removing the dedicated cart service will help speed up the service so customers can relax — Bloody Marys and the wine will still be available.”
However, United also admitted it was 300% over budget on wine this past spring in an internal email to its flight attendants as reported by View from the Wing:
Common sense suggests that if showcasing the wine offerings incentivized passengers to drink more, then the move to remove the carts may not be nearly as altruistic as United would have us believe.
Featured photo courtesy of Hero Images via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees