United to Eliminate Drink Carts From Polaris Cabins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/11/18: The airline has clarified that unfortunately the “wine arc” (re: wine flight) will be eliminated as well, though passengers can still request to try as many wines as they wish.
Currently, these carts provide passengers with custom Bloody Marys and mimosas on morning flights — typically outbound from Europe, or daytime eastbound transatlantic flights — and wine carts on all other routes.
The wine carts offer a choice of six wines, and travelers can even order flights to sample three or all six vintages.
The official line from United is business-class passengers want more time to relax, and removing the drink carts speeds up beverage service.
United spokesperson Jonathan Guerin told TPG‘s editor-at-large Zach Honig today:
“This change is meant to increase the speed of the beverage service to allow customers more time for relaxation, which is what they have told us is their top priority. Removing the dedicated cart service will help speed up the service so customers can relax — Bloody Marys and the wine will still be available.”
However, United also admitted it was 300% over budget on wine this past spring in an internal email to its flight attendants as reported by View from the Wing:
Common sense suggests that if showcasing the wine offerings incentivized passengers to drink more, then the move to remove the carts may not be nearly as altruistic as United would have us believe.
Featured photo courtesy of Hero Images via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.