These 10 Destinations Are on the Rise, According to TripAdvisor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TripAdvisor released its list of trending travel destinations on the rise for 2018 for the US and beyond — and our bucket list of must-visit places just got a little bit longer. Every year, the travel company releases this list based off traveler’s reviews and ratings of accommodations, restaurants and attractions and they pair that with increases in searches and booking interest over the course of a year. The result is a mix of under-the-radar destinations which offer something for travelers of all interests and budgets as well. Below are TripAdvisor’s destinations on the rise in the United States.
1. Kapaa, Hawaii
This Hawaiian city tops TripAdvisor’s list of trending destinations in the US and the world so you know it’s a true gem. Kapaa is on the island of Kauai, nestled at the base of the Sleeping Giant Mountain, Nounou. Kapaa is very tourist-friendly and has a ton of hotels and restaurants for visitors to choose from. The pristine beaches have plenty activities to offer visitors of the island from snorkeling and kayaking to waterskiing.
2. Waco, Texas
Waco is located in central Texas and is home to a variety of museums, one most notably for its hometown hero, Dr. Pepper. It also has a fossil site — turned into a National Monument — with the bones of the Columbian Mammoth. Visitors should also explore the Brazos River and check out the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame.
3. Wilmington, North Carolina
When traveling to Wilmington, you’ll want to make the most of the great outdoors. Check out the riverwalk along the Cape Fear River and stop in some of the city’s charming shops, cafés and nightlife options. There are plenty of waterfront hotels and parks located on the river too, and a stop at the Port City Marina is a must. If you’re lucky, your trip will coincide with one of the many festivals that take place here, like the Wilmington Beer Week or the world-famous North Carolina Azalea Festival.
4. Bend, Oregon
Bend is for all the adventure-lovers out there. Located on the Deschutes River, tourists can hike, fish and bike here and even ski at Mt. Bachelor. There are a ton of famous breweries and restaurants to visit after working up an appetite on the trails or slopes, and Bend is also a great family vacation spot, with many no-fee museums and ski areas for children under 12.
5. Boulder, Colorado
With over 30,000 acres of unspoiled land, 200 miles of trails and walking/biking paths that run along the river and through the city center, Boulder is a must-do for adventurers. For those feeling up to it, Boulder is located at the foot of the Rocky Mountains so skiing and snowshoeing are obvious highlights of this Western city.
6. Paso Robles, California
Paso Robles (or “Pass of the Oaks”) is located in Central California, close to mountains, beaches and deserts. It also has thermal hot springs, said to have healing powers and is home to more than 170 wineries, 26,000 acres of vineyards and 40 varietals of wine. Indeed, Paso Robles is the wine-lover destination you didn’t know you needed to visit.
7. Richmond, Virginia
Walk down the cobblestone streets and riverwalks of Richmond and soak up history: It’s one of the country’s original colonial settlements and is now Virginia’s capital. The city is lined with dozens of monuments and offers a brief education on the significant people that have called Richmond home throughout history. It’s not only for the history buffs, visitors can also whitewater down the James River and hike along the river or up in the hills.
8. Greenville, South Carolina
Greenville has a thriving art scene which, paired with hundreds of restaurants, shops and boutiques, makes it an up-and-comer. With plenty of annual festivals and a number of historic sites and museums, this city based at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains has scenery that’s hard to beat. Be sure to check out Greenville’s “floating” suspension bridge when exploring the city.
9. Omaha, Nebraska
Omaha is where small town and big city intersect, and down-home meets urban chic in this city with a plethora of local breweries and a thriving art and music scene. History buffs shouldn’t feel left out here, there’s the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail and a museum where tourists can learn about Omaha’s pioneer history.
10. Lexington, Kentucky
The epicenter of bluegrass and the horse capital of the world, you don’t have to be a thoroughbred fan to enjoy Lexington. With an abundance of hiking trails that wind through forests, meadows and creeks — not to mention the numerous historic landmarks within the city limits — travelers should be sure to include Henry Clay’s former residence at the Ashland estate when visiting.
These are TripAdvisor’s 2018 trending destinations across the world:
1. Ishigaki, Japan
2. Kapaa, Hawaii
3. Nairobi, Kenya
4. Halifax, Canada
5. Gdansk, Poland
6. San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Riga, Latvia
8. Rovinj, Croatia
9. Nerja, Spain
10. Casablanca, Morocco
All images courtesy of TripAdvisor.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees