This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TripAdvisor recently released its list of the best beaches in the world, part of its 2017 Travelers’ Choice Awards. Unlike other travel websites, where similar lists are curated by a team of editors and travel experts, these rankings were based strictly on the reviews and ratings of TripAdvisor’s users.
While the top 25 beaches were located all around the world, many of them were in the Caribbean. Here’s a handy Google Map so you can get a better idea of where to find them:
TripAdvisors chose Baía do Sancho as the #1 beach in the world — it’s located 220 miles off the coast of Brazil on the archipelago of Fernando de Noronha. The beach is also historically significant because it’s where the Portuguese explorers first landed in the 1500s. The island limits visitors to just 500 a day, helping to keep this UNESCO World Heritage Site calm, secluded and preserved.
Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos came in second place, with its crystal clear waters and white sand helping this beach rank high.
Aruba’s Eagle Beach came in third, with reviewers saying the soft sand and lack of crowds made this particular spot of sand extra special.
Now that Cuba is open to American travelers, you’ll have the chance to visit Playa Pariso, which took the #4 spot. The beach is located on the small island of Cayo Largo just off Cuba’s southern coast, which is accessible by plane or boat.
Siesta Beach — located in Siesta Key, Florida, just south of Sarasota along the Gulf Coast — came in at #5 and is currently the highest ranking beach in the US according to TripAdvisor users. What did travelers say was one of the best things about this beach? White sand that stays cool and doesn’t burn your feet.
You can see Tripadvisor’s full list here, but here’s a look at the Top 25:
- Baía do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
- Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Playa Paraiso Beach, Cayo Largo, Cuba
- Siesta Beach, Siesta Key, Florida
- Playa de La Concha, San Sebastián, Spain
- Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
- Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island, India
- Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
- Galapagos Beach at Tortuga Bay, Puerto Ayora, Ecuador
- Anse Lazio Beach, Praslin Island, Seychelles
- Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
- Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico
- Bávaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Seven Mile Beach, Negril, Jamaica
- Anakena Beach, Easter Island, Chile
- Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Islands, Australia
- La Cote des Basques, Biarritz, France
- Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
- West Bay Beach, West Bay, Honduras
- Camps Bay Beach, Camps Bay, South Africa
- Praia de Santa Maria, Santa Maria, Cape Verde
- Playa Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
- White Beach, Boracay, Philippines
- Ngapali Beach, Myanmar
Which of these beaches have you been to? Are there any you think should have been on this list? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image of Anse Lazio Beach in the Seychelles and all other photos courtesy of Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that