This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TripAdvisor recently released its list of the best beaches in the world, part of its 2017 Travelers’ Choice Awards. Unlike other travel websites, where similar lists are curated by a team of editors and travel experts, these rankings were based strictly on the reviews and ratings of TripAdvisor’s users.
While the top 25 beaches were located all around the world, many of them were in the Caribbean. Here’s a handy Google Map so you can get a better idea of where to find them:
TripAdvisors chose Baía do Sancho as the #1 beach in the world — it’s located 220 miles off the coast of Brazil on the archipelago of Fernando de Noronha. The beach is also historically significant because it’s where the Portuguese explorers first landed in the 1500s. The island limits visitors to just 500 a day, helping to keep this UNESCO World Heritage Site calm, secluded and preserved.
Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos came in second place, with its crystal clear waters and white sand helping this beach rank high.
Aruba’s Eagle Beach came in third, with reviewers saying the soft sand and lack of crowds made this particular spot of sand extra special.
Now that Cuba is open to American travelers, you’ll have the chance to visit Playa Pariso, which took the #4 spot. The beach is located on the small island of Cayo Largo just off Cuba’s southern coast, which is accessible by plane or boat.
Siesta Beach — located in Siesta Key, Florida, just south of Sarasota along the Gulf Coast — came in at #5 and is currently the highest ranking beach in the US according to TripAdvisor users. What did travelers say was one of the best things about this beach? White sand that stays cool and doesn’t burn your feet.
You can see Tripadvisor’s full list here, but here’s a look at the Top 25:
- Baía do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
- Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Playa Paraiso Beach, Cayo Largo, Cuba
- Siesta Beach, Siesta Key, Florida
- Playa de La Concha, San Sebastián, Spain
- Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
- Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island, India
- Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
- Galapagos Beach at Tortuga Bay, Puerto Ayora, Ecuador
- Anse Lazio Beach, Praslin Island, Seychelles
- Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
- Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico
- Bávaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Seven Mile Beach, Negril, Jamaica
- Anakena Beach, Easter Island, Chile
- Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Islands, Australia
- La Cote des Basques, Biarritz, France
- Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
- West Bay Beach, West Bay, Honduras
- Camps Bay Beach, Camps Bay, South Africa
- Praia de Santa Maria, Santa Maria, Cape Verde
- Playa Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
- White Beach, Boracay, Philippines
- Ngapali Beach, Myanmar
Which of these beaches have you been to? Are there any you think should have been on this list? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image of Anse Lazio Beach in the Seychelles and all other photos courtesy of Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees