This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of TripAdvisor’s annual Travelers’ Choice Awards, the travel ratings site recently released its list of the Top 25 Destinations in the World, according to its users. Check out the list below to see which places travelers loved visiting the most.
1. Bali, Indonesia
It’s not all that surprising to see Bali in the #1 spot — just mentioning the name of this Indonesian paradise conjures images of pristine white beaches, crystal blue waters and rice paddies surrounded by volcanic mountains. It’s a great place to plan a relaxing yoga or meditation retreat and is home to a wealth of religious sites and wildlife reserves, as well as lively towns, like Kuta, on the southern part of the island.
2. London, United Kingdom
The British capital is a modern metropolis with a storied history, making it perfect for contemporary travelers and history buffs alike. Home to a plethora of iconic sites, including Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace, London‘s also home to shopping mecca Oxford Street and the celebrated antique street market on Portobello Road. With all the trendy things the city has to offer, it’s no wonder the home to Will and Kate is such a popular destination.
3. Paris, France
The City of Light — a global trendsetter in terms of culture, art, fashion and food — ranks in at number three on TripAdvisor’s list. While Paris is perhaps best known for popular sites like the Louvre, Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe, the city is equally renowned for its world-class restaurants and high end shops. Where else can you do something as romantic as sipping French coffee, nibbling on a baguette — or freshly-made crêpe — and strolling hand-in-hand along the Seine?
4. Rome, Italy
Rome has served as a global epicenter since 27 B.C. and while the Roman Empire did eventually fall, the city of today still thrives, housing nearly 3,000 years worth of art, architecture, history and culture. Come here to see ancient ruins like the Colosseum and the Pantheon up close — toss three coins over your left shoulder and make a wish at the Trevi Fountain to ensure you’ll return to the Eternal City someday.
5. New York City, New York
New York City is one of the most vibrant cities in the world, and once you get past the noise and the traffic, you’ll find a city filled to the brim with outstanding food, art and culture. The restaurant scene is a foodie’s dream, while the nightlife will keep any night owl busy — NYC is called “The City That Never Sleeps” for a reason. From classic Big Apple attractions like the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and Central Park, to lesser-known wine bars in the West Village or jaunty nightclubs on the Lower East Side, you’ll never be bored here.
You can see TripAdvisor’s full list here, but here’s a look at the Top 25:
- Bali, Indonesia
- London, United Kingdom
- Paris, France
- Rome, Italy
- New York City, New York
- Crete, Greece
- Barcelona, Spain
- Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Phuket, Thailand
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Hoi An, Vietnam
- St. Petersburg, Russia
- Roatán, Honduras
- Marrakech, Morocco
- Ambergris Caye, Belize
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- St. Maarten
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Kathmandu, Nepal
- Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Cusco, Peru
Which of these destinations have you been to? Are there any you think should have been on this list? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Guillaume Chanson via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees