The Top 25 Destinations in the World, According to TripAdvisor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of TripAdvisor’s annual Travelers’ Choice Awards, the travel ratings site recently released its list of the Top 25 Destinations in the World, according to its users. Check out the list below to see which places travelers loved visiting the most.
1. Bali, Indonesia
It’s not all that surprising to see Bali in the #1 spot — just mentioning the name of this Indonesian paradise conjures images of pristine white beaches, crystal blue waters and rice paddies surrounded by volcanic mountains. It’s a great place to plan a relaxing yoga or meditation retreat and is home to a wealth of religious sites and wildlife reserves, as well as lively towns, like Kuta, on the southern part of the island.
2. London, United Kingdom
The British capital is a modern metropolis with a storied history, making it perfect for contemporary travelers and history buffs alike. Home to a plethora of iconic sites, including Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace, London‘s also home to shopping mecca Oxford Street and the celebrated antique street market on Portobello Road. With all the trendy things the city has to offer, it’s no wonder the home to Will and Kate is such a popular destination.
3. Paris, France
The City of Light — a global trendsetter in terms of culture, art, fashion and food — ranks in at number three on TripAdvisor’s list. While Paris is perhaps best known for popular sites like the Louvre, Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe, the city is equally renowned for its world-class restaurants and high end shops. Where else can you do something as romantic as sipping French coffee, nibbling on a baguette — or freshly-made crêpe — and strolling hand-in-hand along the Seine?
4. Rome, Italy
Rome has served as a global epicenter since 27 B.C. and while the Roman Empire did eventually fall, the city of today still thrives, housing nearly 3,000 years worth of art, architecture, history and culture. Come here to see ancient ruins like the Colosseum and the Pantheon up close — toss three coins over your left shoulder and make a wish at the Trevi Fountain to ensure you’ll return to the Eternal City someday.
5. New York City, New York
New York City is one of the most vibrant cities in the world, and once you get past the noise and the traffic, you’ll find a city filled to the brim with outstanding food, art and culture. The restaurant scene is a foodie’s dream, while the nightlife will keep any night owl busy — NYC is called “The City That Never Sleeps” for a reason. From classic Big Apple attractions like the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and Central Park, to lesser-known wine bars in the West Village or jaunty nightclubs on the Lower East Side, you’ll never be bored here.
You can see TripAdvisor’s full list here, but here’s a look at the Top 25:
- Bali, Indonesia
- London, United Kingdom
- Paris, France
- Rome, Italy
- New York City, New York
- Crete, Greece
- Barcelona, Spain
- Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Phuket, Thailand
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Hoi An, Vietnam
- St. Petersburg, Russia
- Roatán, Honduras
- Marrakech, Morocco
- Ambergris Caye, Belize
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- St. Maarten
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Kathmandu, Nepal
- Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Cusco, Peru
Which of these destinations have you been to? Are there any you think should have been on this list? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Guillaume Chanson via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees