The Top 25 Destinations in the World, According to TripAdvisor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of TripAdvisor’s annual Travelers’ Choice Awards, the travel ratings site recently released its list of the Top 25 Destinations in the World, according to its users. Check out the list below to see which places travelers loved visiting the most.
1. Bali, Indonesia
It’s not all that surprising to see Bali in the #1 spot — just mentioning the name of this Indonesian paradise conjures images of pristine white beaches, crystal blue waters and rice paddies surrounded by volcanic mountains. It’s a great place to plan a relaxing yoga or meditation retreat and is home to a wealth of religious sites and wildlife reserves, as well as lively towns, like Kuta, on the southern part of the island.
2. London, United Kingdom
The British capital is a modern metropolis with a storied history, making it perfect for contemporary travelers and history buffs alike. Home to a plethora of iconic sites, including Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace, London‘s also home to shopping mecca Oxford Street and the celebrated antique street market on Portobello Road. With all the trendy things the city has to offer, it’s no wonder the home to Will and Kate is such a popular destination.
3. Paris, France
The City of Light — a global trendsetter in terms of culture, art, fashion and food — ranks in at number three on TripAdvisor’s list. While Paris is perhaps best known for popular sites like the Louvre, Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe, the city is equally renowned for its world-class restaurants and high end shops. Where else can you do something as romantic as sipping French coffee, nibbling on a baguette — or freshly-made crêpe — and strolling hand-in-hand along the Seine?
4. Rome, Italy
Rome has served as a global epicenter since 27 B.C. and while the Roman Empire did eventually fall, the city of today still thrives, housing nearly 3,000 years worth of art, architecture, history and culture. Come here to see ancient ruins like the Colosseum and the Pantheon up close — toss three coins over your left shoulder and make a wish at the Trevi Fountain to ensure you’ll return to the Eternal City someday.
5. New York City, New York
New York City is one of the most vibrant cities in the world, and once you get past the noise and the traffic, you’ll find a city filled to the brim with outstanding food, art and culture. The restaurant scene is a foodie’s dream, while the nightlife will keep any night owl busy — NYC is called “The City That Never Sleeps” for a reason. From classic Big Apple attractions like the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and Central Park, to lesser-known wine bars in the West Village or jaunty nightclubs on the Lower East Side, you’ll never be bored here.
You can see TripAdvisor’s full list here, but here’s a look at the Top 25:
- Bali, Indonesia
- London, United Kingdom
- Paris, France
- Rome, Italy
- New York City, New York
- Crete, Greece
- Barcelona, Spain
- Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Phuket, Thailand
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Hoi An, Vietnam
- St. Petersburg, Russia
- Roatán, Honduras
- Marrakech, Morocco
- Ambergris Caye, Belize
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- St. Maarten
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Kathmandu, Nepal
- Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Cusco, Peru
Which of these destinations have you been to? Are there any you think should have been on this list? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Guillaume Chanson via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.