Is It Cheaper To Book Flights Through Credit Card Travel Portals?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Credit card travel portals such as the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel portal, Citi ThankYou Travel Center and American Express Membership Rewards Travel provide great alternatives to Google Flights for booking airfare. However, as TPG reader Doug points out, it may not always be a better option:
“Be sure to know the going rate for a ticket before purchasing it with points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards web site. Don’t assume you’re getting the best price. I have found the price for Delta tickets originating from Tokyo to the United States are 20-25% higher than buying the ticket directly from Delta or through Orbitz and Travelocity.”
To examine this claim, we compared prices of domestic and international routes on all three credit card travel portals, Expedia and booking directly with the airline. Here are our results:
1. Domestic Travel — Round-Trip Between Oct 12 – 19
|JFK – LAX||American||Coach||$335||$335||$335||$335||$335|
|JFK – LAX||Delta||Coach||$413||$413||$413||$413||$413|
|BOS – SEA||Alaska||Coach||$395||$395||$395||$395||$395|
|JFK – SFO||Delta||First||$2,117||$2,117||$2,117||$2,117||$2,117|
Domestic travel fares are consistent across all booking sites, which really shouldn’t come as a surprise since the sites are US-based and should have similar access to these fares.
2. International Travel — Round-Trip Between Oct 12 – 19
|HND – SFO||Delta||Coach||$1,062||$1,062||$1,062||$1,062||$1,053|
|IAD – FRA||Delta||Coach||$804||$804||$804||$804||$804|
|IAD – FRA||Lufthansa||Coach||$1,305||$1,305||$1,305||$1,297||$1,288|
|LHR – AMS||British Airways||Coach||$120||$120||$120||$120||$95|
|SYD – LAX||Delta||Coach||$754||$754||$754||$754||$754|
|FRA – JFK||Singapore Airlines||Business||$4,565||$4,565||$4,565||$4,565||$3,797|
As Doug has rightly pointed out, we see similar fare trends for flights originating from Tokyo to the US — booking directly through Delta is slightly cheaper ($9) than booking using the different travel portals. While this isn’t the 20-25% savings that Doug has experienced, a similar fare two weeks ago booked on the Delta website did have a whopping 41% savings over using the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. This phenomenon extends to premium travel as well, with fares from Frankfurt (FRA) to New York (JFK) 17% cheaper when booked directly with Singapore Airlines. It’s important to note that some discrepancies can be explained by the fact that searches for tickets originating in a foreign country will sometimes yield a different price than those that originate in the US.
While we can’t definitively say that booking international travel directly with the airline will always give the cheapest option, it never hurts to compare across the different booking options to land the best deal available.
Featured image courtesy of David Cleveland Photography via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.