British Airways Is Giving Its JFK Terminal a Royal Makeover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has shared renderings in a press release of planned upgrades to its flagship airport space in the USA — Terminal 7 at New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport. The airline will spend an estimated $65 Million on the updates.
“We are currently working behind-the-scenes with top architects and designers to create a beautiful new space for our customers to relax, dine and work in before they take off. The new environment at Terminal 7 is designed for our customers to enjoy a smoother, faster and more relaxed airport experience. This will involve significantly increasing the number of people we can seat for in-flight dining, re-styling the space and adding new lighting, bars and furniture,” said Abigail Comber, British Airways Head of Customer.
According to the airline, these are all the changes it’s making at JFK T7:
- An enhanced, spacious check-in area for a fast, efficient customer journey.
- An exclusive new premium check-in zone with fast-track security lane.
- Redesigned and updated lounges with more space to relax, dine, and work.
- The introduction of an authentic New York culinary experience with local food and beverage concepts to satisfy a variety of tastes.
- An immersive retail environment for duty free shopping and concessions.
- New gate seating areas with additional power outlets, designed for customer comfort and convenience.
BA has been making an effort to invest in its top customers — including a new first-class check-in area at London Heathrow (LHR) and a re-designed Club World (business class) product to roll out in 2019. In June, new catering will be introduced at the Heathrow business lounges, and breakfast service will be extended until 11am. Starting in July, fresh new linen, bigger pillows, a soft mattress topper and duvet will be introduced on board to increase passenger comfort.
However, BA has also been downgrading the economy product in some cases. Last year, it replaced the customary second meal in World Traveler (economy) on long-haul flights under 8.5 hours with a meal replacement bar. Some snacks, such as Pringles, are now available for purchase. Earlier this month, CEO Alex Cruz said BA may consider charging World Traveler passengers for meals on long-haul flights, following a “rough start” in introducing buy onboard meals on shorter flights.
Would these updates make you more likely to fly British Airways to London?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees