British Airways Is Giving Its JFK Terminal a Royal Makeover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has shared renderings in a press release of planned upgrades to its flagship airport space in the USA — Terminal 7 at New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport. The airline will spend an estimated $65 Million on the updates.
“We are currently working behind-the-scenes with top architects and designers to create a beautiful new space for our customers to relax, dine and work in before they take off. The new environment at Terminal 7 is designed for our customers to enjoy a smoother, faster and more relaxed airport experience. This will involve significantly increasing the number of people we can seat for in-flight dining, re-styling the space and adding new lighting, bars and furniture,” said Abigail Comber, British Airways Head of Customer.
According to the airline, these are all the changes it’s making at JFK T7:
- An enhanced, spacious check-in area for a fast, efficient customer journey.
- An exclusive new premium check-in zone with fast-track security lane.
- Redesigned and updated lounges with more space to relax, dine, and work.
- The introduction of an authentic New York culinary experience with local food and beverage concepts to satisfy a variety of tastes.
- An immersive retail environment for duty free shopping and concessions.
- New gate seating areas with additional power outlets, designed for customer comfort and convenience.
BA has been making an effort to invest in its top customers — including a new first-class check-in area at London Heathrow (LHR) and a re-designed Club World (business class) product to roll out in 2019. In June, new catering will be introduced at the Heathrow business lounges, and breakfast service will be extended until 11am. Starting in July, fresh new linen, bigger pillows, a soft mattress topper and duvet will be introduced on board to increase passenger comfort.
However, BA has also been downgrading the economy product in some cases. Last year, it replaced the customary second meal in World Traveler (economy) on long-haul flights under 8.5 hours with a meal replacement bar. Some snacks, such as Pringles, are now available for purchase. Earlier this month, CEO Alex Cruz said BA may consider charging World Traveler passengers for meals on long-haul flights, following a “rough start” in introducing buy onboard meals on shorter flights.
Would these updates make you more likely to fly British Airways to London?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.