This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: The original three-month trial is no longer available. However, you can now get now get a free two-month trial of CLEAR by using the promo code TPG2M.
CLEAR is a biometric-based membership service that allows travelers to go directly to the front of the TSA PreCheck line at 22 participating airports across the country — if you’re not enrolled in PreCheck, you’ll go straight to the front of the normal TSA screening line. Now, it seems CLEAR is eager to continue its expansion, as users say they’ve received emails with invitations to invite their friends to try the service for free as part of a three-month trial period, which is much more generous than its typical one-month free trial offer.
If you received an email, you can forward to friends or family members that may be interested in trying the service. If you don’t receive an email from anyone, you can still use promo code DAYLIGHT3 when you register on CLEAR’s website. Note that the offer is only valid for new users who register by March 24. Your membership will then be automatically renewed for a 12-month period at a cost of $179.
It’s also important to note that CLEAR offers discounted membership rates to Delta SkyMiles members. General members can purchase a year-long membership for $99, while Silver, Gold and Platinum members can buy one for $79 — it’s complimentary for Diamond members.
I was able to register for the trial through the link in the email I received from another TPG team member, however there’s no place for you to enter your Delta SkyMiles information. After registering, I called CLEAR at (855)-253-2763 to give the agent my SkyMiles info with the hope that I’d be able to lock in the lower Delta SkyMiles member rate. Sure enough, after just a few questions, the agent told me my account would be renewed at the cost of $79 following the trial period because of my Silver Medallion status with the airline.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees