Zach Honig’s 2019 travel stats: miles flown, status earned and more
The Points Guy team has just exploded over the years — I began my TPG journey as Editor-in-Chief in 2015, where we worked in a small shared office with just four desks.
Now, more than 100 writers, editors, social media managers, video and podcast producers, web developers, business developers and many other colleagues work around the clock to bring you the content you see today, in the U.S. and beyond. I’m not even the only “Zach” anymore — we have Zach Griff, Zach Wichter and Zach Bartholomew, all on the TPG team. And we’re still looking to grow!
Over that time, I migrated to my current role as Editor-at-Large, where I produce our daily newsletter (I definitely recommend signing up — right here!) and have much more time to travel the globe, producing content from rural Alaska to Sydney, Australia, and everywhere in between. My very last trip of the year took me from Newark (EWR) to Cape Town, South Africa (CPT) on United’s inaugural Dreamliner flight — it was easily one of the most memorable of my life.
At the end of each year, I usually share a number of travel stats, with the exception of 2016. Here’s how my own air travels have broken down since I joined The Points Guy in April of ’15:
Remarkably, my 2019 total was less than 1,000 miles shy of what I flew in 2018. I’m going to sum up some of my more interesting statistics, too, including:
Longest flight: 8,053 miles from Hong Kong (HKG) to Newark (EWR)
Shortest flight: 172 miles from Lisbon (LIS) to Porto (OPO)
Total miles flown: 223,152
United elite-qualifying miles: 237,662
American elite-qualifying miles: 19,398
Delta elite-qualifying miles: 2,022
Travel nights: 126
Holiday upgrades gifted: 40
How did I “gift” so many upgrades? At the end of each year, I dedicate some time to helping United elite members donate their expiring upgrades (now called “PlusPoints“) to travelers headed all around the world. So far I’ve helped bump 40 flyers to Polaris business class on long-haul flights to Shanghai (PVG), Sydney (SYD), and many other cities, and I’ll continue the effort through the end of January. Head over to my Instagram page (@zachhonig) and click on my “Free upgrades” Story highlight for more details.
In the end, I earned just two elite status tiers based on my travels:
I also re-qualified for the following hotel tiers based on my credit card perks:
- Hilton Diamond (Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express)
- Hyatt Discoverist (World Of Hyatt Credit Card)
- IHG Platinum (IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card)
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
As for next year? I already have trips booked to Colorado, Hawaii, Paris, Bogota and Cartagena in January, and I’ll be working my way back up to United Premier 1K — a potentially challenging feat in 2020. Like Zach Griff, I’ll likely be booking more flights through partners, to earn more Premier-Qualifying Points (PQPs) than I otherwise might.
Featured photo of United’s 787-10 Polaris business class by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees