Your Maldives Resort Transfer Could Get Cheaper Thanks to This New Airline
If the Maldives are on your bucket list, there’s a new airline to help you island hop.
Manta Air opened for business this week after securing its Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) from the Maldivian Civil Aviation Authority (MCAA) and the hope is that a little competition will bring down the prices for that “last hop” to paradise.
For now, the airline has two ATR72-600 aircraft leased from Nordic Aviation Capital, flying between Malé (MLE) and Kudahuvadhoo (DDD) four times a day. Soon, it will take delivery of two DHC-6-300 seaplanes, and it hopes to expand its route network to include Dharavandhoo (DRV) in Baa Atoll and Thimarafushi (TMF) in Thaa Atoll.
AvGeeks will appreciate that Manta Air has tweaked the cabin layout in its ATR72-600s to give passengers extra legroom. Passengers can book two classes of travel. Comfort offers 32 inches of legroom, while Sapphire offers a seat pitch of 36 inches.
The Maldives tops the list of aspirational locales for many travelers, and for good reason. Resorts like Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, Conrad Maldives Rangali Island and the upcoming Waldorf Astoria Maldives Itaafushi offer otherworldly experiences that are worth the effort when it comes to pooling points and miles to book a stay.
One potential problem in paradise is the transfer. Most Maldivian resorts require another hop after you’ve arrived at Velana International Airport (MLE), the primary international gateway to the archipelago. These transfers can cost upwards of $500 to $1,000 per person on a round-trip basis, and outside of creative solutions such as Capital One’s Purchase Eraser, there’s no tried-and-true way to avoid that cost.
Manta Air’s website is pricing round-trip jaunts between Malé (MLE) and Kudahuvadhoo (DDD) at around $390 per person. The hope is that another airline joining Flyme, Maldivian and Trans Maldivian Airways will create competition and pricing pressure to bring down the exorbitant last-hop cost when visiting one of the most spectacular destinations on Earth.
Be sure to check out our guide covering the best ways to get to the Maldives on points and miles.
Featured image courtesy of Manta Air.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees