Great news: You can now rebook your canceled American Airlines trip online — here’s how
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, American Airlines has allowed travelers to change or cancel new and existing flights without penalty. In June, the airline also made a positive change to its seat fee refund policy.
While that sounds great on the surface, the rebooking was a pain. Fortunately, that isn’t the case anymore.
TPG has discovered that flights voluntarily canceled can now be rebooked online. Previously, you needed to call and speak to an American Airlines reservations representative, which could be an extraordinarily long process.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Types of AA travel credits
American now offers three types of travel credits: Flight Credit, Travel Vouchers (being discontinued) and Trip Credit. All of these sound similar so here’s a quick overview:
|Flight Credit||Travel Voucher||Trip Credit|
|Issued for||Flights canceled by you||U.S. residents (typically compensation)||Compensation by airline, or for remaining value from a Flight Credit exchange|
|Valid for||Flights only||Flights only||Flights only|
|Who can use it||Only the same passenger on the canceled ticket can book and travel using a Flight Credit||
Can be used by the voucher holder to book travel for anyone
Can be used by the credit holder to book travel for anyone
|Number that can be used per trip||1 per passenger||Up to 8 per trip||Up to 8 per trip|
|Expiration||Travel must begin 1 year from the date of issue (credits issued for flights canceled due to COVID-19 can be used for travel through Dec. 31, 2021)||1 year from date issued||1 year from date issued|
|How to redeem||Online (new feature) or over the phone||Online or over the phone||Over the phone|
Rebooking AA flights online
When you voluntarily cancel a non-refundable flight, you’ll get the value of your ticket back in the form of “flight credits.” These credits are valid for flights only (not extras like seats or bags) and can only be used to book flights for the passenger on the canceled ticket.
As first discovered by TPG, you can now check the value of flight credits on AA’s site. In the “Manage trips/Check-in” box on the site’s homepage, there’s now an option to look up canceled flights. You can search by record locator or ticket number.
You’ll then be taken to a page that shows your ticket number, the original date of issue and ticket value. There was no easy way to find this information online in the past.
To book a trip using the credit simply search for a flight as you normally would. Then, on the checkout page, under the payment options, there’s an option to apply your flight credit. This feature is available both via the airline’s website and mobile app. Presently, you can only apply one flight credit per passenger per trip.
Travel typically must begin within one year of your original ticketing date. However, due to the coronavirus travel waiver, the value of your unused ticket can be used for travel through Dec. 31, 2021.
Unlike United, American will give you the residual value back in the form of a trip credit if you book a new flight with a lower fare.
A spokesperson for American explained to TPG that this feature is available for domestic single-passenger itineraries, though there are some instances where domestic multi-passenger itineraries are also eligible. The feature is not available for international itineraries or where the point-of-sale was international.
Being able to rebook flights online is a big step forward for American. It’s refreshing to see that the airline is making it easier for our customers to use travel credits while some competitors are doing the opposite.
This isn’t the airline’s only technological improvement in recent months. In June, American added a chat feature to its mobile app and then in August it introduced a tool to provide travelers with the latest travel and health restrictions.
All screenshots courtesy of American Airlines.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees