American and United focusing on new tools to make travel easier right now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines are doing whatever they can to help alleviate any stress people might have flying right now. Aside from implementing new cleaning procedures, adjusting in-flight service, making changes to seating policies and introducing flexible change and cancellation policies, they’ve also been upgrading their technology.
In June, American Airlines and United each made it easier to get help by adding new chat tools to their mobile apps. Now, the two airlines are making it easier to get common questions answered without even needing to chat with an agent.
Some of the most common questions from travelers right now revolve around safety and travel restrictions and that’s exactly what American and United’s new tools focus on.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
AA’s new tool
American has partnered with the company Sherpa to provide travelers with the latest travel and health restrictions. Travelers can enter what country they want to travel to and get information on border closures, personal protection requirements, quarantine requirements, health declaration forms and more.
If you want to find out where Americans can go right now follow this link for our complete guide to who is allowing Americans.
You can currently access the tool by visiting American’s dedicated page on Sherpa’s website. However, venerable Twitter user @JonNYC reports that American will integrate it into the “Travel updates” page of the airline’s website soon. Based on Sherpa’s existing capabilities, American could also integrate the technology into its app at some point to automatically notify travelers of health and safety regulations an health assessments upon arrival at destination.
Other airlines that already use Sherpa’s tools include Condor, British Airways and Icelandair.
United’s new tool
United, on the other hand, is focusing on answering questions around cleaning and safety. As a part of the ‘CleanPlus’ initiative, passengers can text an automated assistant get answers to questions about masks, boarding procedures, United Clubs and more.
Per United, the automated assistant can answer questions like:
- How is United keeping airports cleaner and safer?
- Are United Club locations still open?
- How can I prepare for an upcoming trip?
- What is the quality of the air onboard a plane?
- How are you cleaning and disinfecting your planes?
- Are there any changes to service during flight?
To use this tool, text “Clean” to FLYUA (35982). Unlike the live chat tool, you don’t need United’s app to take advantage of this.
While not revolutionary by any means, it’s nice to see that American and United are investing in their technology to make travel easier. Delta, on the other hand, took a step backward when it suspended reservations assistance via social media in mid-June.
If these tools don’t solve your problems, be sure to check out our detailed guide for the best ways to quickly reach a customer service agent at each airline.
Featured image courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees