American and United now let you text to chat with an agent
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, airline customers have faced extraordinary wait times when attempting to reach an agent — if they’re able to get though to one at all. This month, American and United each made it easier to get help, thanks to new chat tools in the latest versions their mobile apps.
To access AA’s chat tool, head to the American app and swipe up to show more options. Click “Contact American” at the bottom of the page, then select the “Chat with us” feature. From there, it took a bit of work for me to actually get through to an agent.
First, I selected the option to change my flight, which simply provided instructions to change my trip myself online or to call a reservations agent on the phone, at AA’s 1-800 number. Next, I chose the option for “Check in help,” which resulted in a message prompting me to, again, call American for help. Finally, I selected “Bags,” and after choosing “Something else” twice, I was added to the queue, where Mimi answered my chat in about two minutes.
To reach United’s chat tool, open up the app then tap the three parallel lines in the top left corner. On the next page, select “Contact us” and then the “Message us” option. As the app notes, agents are available between the hours of 9 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. ET.
I followed the same flow as I did with AA, first selecting the option for “Reservations,” followed by “Change my trip.” From there, the app presented an option to chat with an agent, which I selected. I was connected with Rex in about three minutes.
Flying another airline? Delta has offered messaging since last June, when it launched a chat tool via Apple’s Messages app, which is available at the bottom of the “More” tab in the Fly Delta app. I wasn’t able to reach an agent quickly there, though, as many have experienced when attempting to contact the carrier’s call centers as well. Otherwise, be sure to check out our detailed guide for the best option to reach an agent at your airline.
Featured photo courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees