WOW Air Axes New York-JFK and Dallas Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just two days after WOW Air announced it would be pulling out of three Midwestern airports, reports have emerged that the budget airline is axing flights between two other major cities and its hub in Reykjavik.
[Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
WOW will end its flights between New York JFK and Reykjavik (KEF) and Dallas (DFW) and KEF on Oct. 26 according to The Blue Swan Daily. When searching on WOW’s website, it appears that you can’t purchase flights from the two airports in question after the 26th, and there aren’t any other available dates throughout the entire schedule.
WOW flies daily from JFK and three times a week from Dallas. Fortunately, New Yorkers have no need to fret as the carrier still flies daily from Newark (EWR) to Reykjavik, but Texans will have a harder time flying on a budget airline across the Atlantic.
Both of the routes were only launched in spring 2018 and didn’t last a full year.
Delta already flew from JFK to Reykjavik, and American started flying from its hub in Dallas to the Icelandic capital this year. It’s possible competition from these larger carriers forced WOW to end service on these routes.
The cancellation of these flights means the end of six routes for WOW this year including St. Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Miami. The airline did say on Wednesday that it would resume seasonal service to Tel Aviv (TLV) after it announced in August that the route would be canceled.
TPG reached out to WOW for comment but did not hear back by time of publication.
H/T: View From The Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.