WOW Air Is Ending Flights to Miami
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
WOW Air, the budget carrier whose purple livery has been seen at more and more airports over the last few years, is doing something counter to its recent expansion trend: it’s canceling one of its US – Iceland routes.
[Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
Starting April 7, WOW will “pause” service on its Miami (MIA) to Reykjavik (KEF) route. There are currently no other airlines that fly between the two cities, so any South Floridians wanting to head to popular tourist destination Iceland will have to connect through other cities.
“Service from Miami will be paused starting in April, with the possibility of becoming a seasonal route in the future,” said Svana Fridriksdottir, VP of Communications for WOW Air.
WOW started flying to the US in 2015, and flights between Miami and Iceland began in April 2017. The ultra-low-cost carrier, known for offering sub-$100 fares to Europe, currently flies to 14 US destinations. After April 7, that will shrink to 13.
The airline operates an Airbus-only fleet and flew one of its A330s three times a week on the eight-hour flight to MIA. It’s possible the A330 was too costly to operate on this route since it’s such a large aircraft. WOW mainly uses smaller single-aisle A320s and A321s on many of its routes.
You’ll still be able to fly from Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), Montreal (YUL), Newark (EWR), Pittsburgh (PIT), San Francisco (SFO) and Toronto (YYZ). The airline plans on launching service to Cincinnati (CVG), Cleveland (CLE), Dallas (DFW), Detroit (DTW), New York (JFK) and St. Louis (STL) throughout 2018.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees