This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just five scant months after launching service between St. Louis and Reykjavik, WOW Air announced that it’s canceling several of its Midwest-Iceland routes.
“WOW Air is disappointed to confirm the cancellation of the service from St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL) this winter, with the final flight from Reykjavik (KEF) to STL Jan. 6, 2019, and the final flight from STL to KEF on Jan. 7, 2019,” a spokesperson for the airline told TPG. “Unfortunately, it has to be said that St Louis was a disappointment for WOW Air this summer in terms of end results, with load factors not achieving the targets that were set for the route in the beginning, and compared to other markets in our network.”
WOW Air said that STL passengers booked on flights after these dates will either receive a full refund, or can opt to fly from another WOW airport at no additional cost.
The airline also told TPG that routes between Reykjavik and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) and Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) would no longer be offered after this month, October 2018.
The final Cleveland flight will depart on Oct. 27, while the last Cincinnati flight will depart for Reykjavik on Oct. 27. Tickets can be purchased for travel through the final dates for each city.
St. Louis, Cincinnati and Cleveland represent three out of the four Midwest destination cities that WOW Air announced last summer, each with 4x weekly service. Detroit is the final remaining city from that initial launch. The airline confirmed that the Detroit route is not in jeopardy at this time.
Featured photo courtesy of WOW Air.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*