This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just five scant months after launching service between St. Louis and Reykjavik, WOW Air announced that it’s canceling several of its Midwest-Iceland routes.
“WOW Air is disappointed to confirm the cancellation of the service from St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL) this winter, with the final flight from Reykjavik (KEF) to STL Jan. 6, 2019, and the final flight from STL to KEF on Jan. 7, 2019,” a spokesperson for the airline told TPG. “Unfortunately, it has to be said that St Louis was a disappointment for WOW Air this summer in terms of end results, with load factors not achieving the targets that were set for the route in the beginning, and compared to other markets in our network.”
WOW Air said that STL passengers booked on flights after these dates will either receive a full refund, or can opt to fly from another WOW airport at no additional cost.
The airline also told TPG that routes between Reykjavik and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) and Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) would no longer be offered after this month, October 2018.
The final Cleveland flight will depart on Oct. 27, while the last Cincinnati flight will depart for Reykjavik on Oct. 27. Tickets can be purchased for travel through the final dates for each city.
St. Louis, Cincinnati and Cleveland represent three out of the four Midwest destination cities that WOW Air announced last summer, each with 4x weekly service. Detroit is the final remaining city from that initial launch. The airline confirmed that the Detroit route is not in jeopardy at this time.
Featured photo courtesy of WOW Air.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees